Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: importing a barrel from USA

importing a barrel from USA

Need some advice .....
    I need a replacement barrel for a shotgun,
    i have found a dealer in the USA who will ship to the UK, however is it legal for me to have it posted to my address ?
    i cant to go through an RFD as they say they dont have the import licence ! or else they would charge a fortune
    i have checked the customs website and the UKBA website which says a barrel can be imported as long as i hold the correct FAC for the weapon it is for, which i do.
    Anyone imported a barrel from the USA ?
    I have e-mailed UK customs seeking clarification, as i dont want to be breaking any laws !
    thanks

Hi

I've done this a few times, and the advice I followed was from Dan Lilja.

On their web site there is a scanned letter from UK customs relating to "personal imports" and other advice.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/uk_import.htm

Not sure how it applies to shotgun barrels but its a start.

Just brought barrel back for my 1100 Remington from Florida, dead easy, just checked it in as a package , it does not need to be secured as it is only a tube (Virgn Atlantic), picked it up off the luggage belt the other end at Gatwick, went through the Red chanel at customs, shown the customs bloke my license and told "thanks very much off you go" !

If you need the actual HRMC doc then do a search on their website for C2-25A

For import via the postal service last time i included a copy of my certificate to go into the package, customs opened the package and i presume saw the copy of my license, was informed to go pick up the package and pay duty, again easy.

Rifle barrels are a whole different ball game as you need an export license from the US State Dept to get them out of the country, however you do not need an import license for the UK as long as it is for a firearm that is on your ticket, its all in the C2-25A guidance on the HRMC website.

Now if you need a full choked barrel for an 1100 i have one here going spare !
    Last edited by HOWDAH; 21-05-2012 at 09:00.

Quote Originally Posted by remmy700 View Post
    Hi

I've done this a few times, and the advice I followed was from Dan Lilja.

On their web site there is a scanned letter from UK customs relating to "personal imports" and other advice.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/uk_import.htm

Not sure how it applies to shotgun barrels but its a start.
    Did you have to pay for an export license from the U.S. State Department?

Nearly all barrel makers will ship to the UK if you have the correct export documents, however it has not been possible to import a rifle barrel or barrel blank out of the USA since the late 2009 without these relevant state department export licences.
    Now whether the same applies to shotgun barrels i dont know but considering they wont export a rifle barrel blank which is effectively a piece of tube, without an export licence, i would have thought shotgun barrels may need the same.

Ian.

US firearm export laws apply to ALL parts of firearms. That includes everything from ammo components, rifle scopes, barrels, actions, stocks etc etc. The general consensus here in Canada is it is a real pain to go through all the export paperwork process - best case about 6 weeks. Some people still go through the hassle for rarer ex-military designs but the majority of Canadians just suck on it. Certain US dealers have been known to circumvent the restrictions by declaring "machine parts" or "crossbow accessories" etc although this might be harder to get away with for a barrel compared to other parts.

Its a real pain for me I live half hour from the US border and scopes in particular are about 30% cheaper down there!

there are some comically cheap barrels on US eBay!!
    worth thinking about!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    there are some comically cheap barrels on US eBay!!
    worth thinking about!
    i know..... it makes me sick at the prices we are charged over here !
    i am still waiting on a reply from HMRC ref the import.
    should i seek advice from HMRC or UKBA ?

Devil-Bri
    Have you approached the UK importer of the particular Brand of Shotgun you have? This would seem the logical first step. They may of course pull your pants down but it may be worth checking.
    Yorkie.

Talking about rediculously cheap barrels from the USA mine has just cleared UK customs
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY