Thread: Foxing with a friend

Foxing with a friend

For some time now I have been asking my good friend and fellow SD community member bobjs to take me out to see and learn how he goes about the art of getting wise Mr Fox.

Finally after a lot of begging(many know bob has been un lucky with his health and finances recently) bob gave in and last evening we headed out to my permission at which the owner had been telling me they had been making a mess of his estate.

To paint the picture the area is 1500 acres of farming and woodland and during my years shooting there only ever put eyes on a 1 or maybe 2 an evening even with the NV unit but as I had been given to task to sort it by the owner I had to try and who better than my good friend bob!

So we trundled in to the estate passed the road side houses and got kitted up some 100m in from the road... still dubious about our chances of success as I know first hand they are extremely lamp shy and with the cubs getting ready start learning from Mum the vixens would be even more retiring... but shouldering my newly purchased Sako 75 in .222 I was happy to give bob the chance to show me how he works, Still expecting to spend all night waiting for a fox that wouldn't turn up.

Anyway to keep the story short!

We pulled up in an area that I wouldn't have ever expected to pull in a fox and Bob got to work with the caller(fox pro) and some home made callers and even some just from his mouth.
    I thought to myself I couldn't cypher what the call's were meant to be imitating but let him continue.

About 5 minutes in listening to the rain get ever closer my mind started to wonder about how the lamp with different colour lenses could maybe give us an advantage when bob shut the lamp down and told me to get ready he had a charlie sat on the hedge line about 300m's out. With the lamp off bob called while I made my way to the front to get a better position. Un fortunately in that time Bob had readied the superb 20 tactical put the lamp back on to find charlie about 150 yards out CRACK - THUD - Darkness... Turned out to be a Vixen that travelled that distance in what seemed like seconds and bob being on the ball got the job done!

Following on from that we took 3 more than evening in 2 hours in 3 different spots over the farm and I learned that years of experience and possibly slight insanity made for a great night and we finished with a few bunnies take up for the land owner to keep him happy!

My Sako performed like a dream and the new load we had put together for the task worked brilliantly!

We all know what a shot fox looks like but I will be adding the photo's to my gallery if anyone should want a nosey

Hopefully a short and sweet review of a good evening.

Thanks

Chris

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Hi Chris.

Twas my pleasure mate,

I am sorry it took so long for me to get out and about with you and with my pre mentioned problems aside it is very hard to get out when your budget takes a beating when the chips have been down for some time,

The shoot was even more fun with you there, it makes a vast difference when you shoot with a buddy the time passes way to fast for my liking but it keeps the wife happy when im not to late. i have to say you shot very very well, i have often seen long term serving shooters fluff a shot with excitement, but you remained calm and collected through all the shots you took,(by the way the score for last night was Chris 3 bob 1) i am sure i missed the one you ghost shot for me, anyway.

there is no need for thanks in any way shape or form, it was your land and a wee bit of my time, and if the farmer is happy with your results then thats all that matters,

PS: there are a few more to go there so now you have seen how it can be done, all you need to do is crack on.

regards

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0733.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	574.4 KB 
ID:	15642
    A quick post up of one..

Bob the pleasure was all mine

Sounds like a good night out, and a decent result

Neil.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Sounds like a good night out, and a decent result

Neil.
    hi NEil

it was hissing it down to begin with and chris was all set to call it a night, but we got there in the end. sadly it will be one of my last nights out, as the vitara needs a few bob spent on it to get it through the MOT,

but i may be able to use chris's nevara, you never know.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    but i may be able to use chris's nevara, you never know.

bob.
    You mean Chris will never know if you "borrow" it while he is working

Neil.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    You mean Chris will never know if you "borrow" it while he is working

Neil.
    ssssssh, you'll let the cat out the bag.

bob.

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    ssssssh, you'll let the cat out the bag.

bob.
    oooo ahhhh!! Better put the cat back in :P

You know it's here if you need it bud

Chris

Well done, Chaps - teamwork is what it is all about - and I'm not just talking about the foxing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    Well done, Chaps - teamwork is what it is all about - and I'm not just talking about the foxing.
    Hi Paddy

hope your well mate, and your right "TEAMWORK" benefits us all.

bob.