Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18 year old 4x4 recommendations and insurance

18 year old 4x4 recommendations and insurance

hello, im after a small to medium 4x4 for lamping and lugging things about, dont want anything to massive or to agricultural like a defender but at the same time it will spend 50% of its life off road so must be pretty decent thats good enough to cross muddy/boggy fields, rough tracks, and woodland tracks. im not to keen on the freelander, jimny or vitaras so that rules them both out, iv got about 7-8k to spend, also because of my age nothing that would be too mental on insurance, if anyone has been in the same position or knows a good insurance company pleas let me know. this has probably been covered before but i cant find exactly what im looking for using the search function.

thanks
    Tom

NFU had a special deal going with Land Rovers any model so most of the young lads here drive Discos and Defenders.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
    hello, im after a small to medium 4x4 for lamping and lugging things about, dont want anything to massive or to agricultural like a defender but at the same time it will spend 50% of its life off road so must be pretty decent thats good enough to cross muddy/boggy fields, rough tracks, and woodland tracks. im not to keen on the freelander, jimny or vitaras so that rules them both out, iv got about 7-8k to spend, also because of my age nothing that would be too mental on insurance, if anyone has been in the same position or knows a good insurance company pleas let me know. this has probably been covered before but i cant find exactly what im looking for using the search function.

thanks
    Tom
    Hi Tom. Buy a Landrover 90. Stick some BF Goodrich AT tyres on it and goto NFU for your insurance. If you buy a 90 then it's plus side will be that you'll get most if not all of your money back when you can afford to buy something that's a little more comfortable or a lot more reliable. But that's 1/2 the fun of owning a landrover. At least parts are cheap too.

Insurance on a lot of 4X4s can be very high for some reason so there might not be an easy way around that. In saying that if you avoid Land Rover then what you save in repair bills will probably cover your insurance in a year.

I have an X-Trail which I like and I've been running it for over 2 years now as my only car and stalking vehicle - it is good on the road and has all the gadgets and comfort stuff plus the load space is a lot bigger than you might imagine, especially with the seats folded. The other really good thing about it is that I get over 40mpg on average including my off road stuff, nearer 50mpg on long easy runs if I exclude the stalking and short trips, with the price of fuel the way it is even a few mpg can add up to a lot of money over the year.

Mine does about 20 - 30 miles a week off road and most of that is on forest tracks or fields where it does everything I need.

The money you have should get you a decent one but a word of advice - if at all possible buy one with 16 inch wheels as AT tyres for the 17 inch wheel size are almost impossible to obtain. Do not underestimate how big a pain it can be having an X-Trail with 17 inch wheels for which you have only a very, very limited selection of road tyres. Oh and the 16 inch alloys from all X-Trails will fit every model made to date.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Get yourself a fourtrak or sportrak brilliant toys just put a good set of tyres on and you wont get stuck! I have had them for about 6 years and have some very wet sticky patches and as yet not been stuck!

Why not go and have a look at a few and see which one feels right for you?

There are several key players within that price bracket - you'll find something that just meets all the criteria.

Personally I'd go for a Landrover 90 as recommended before....plus they also hold value...

Be very carefull with the xtrail stay away from 04,05,06 plates blow turbos every 14000 miles or so on a lot of them, xtrail have renault engines DCI. , did not drill a hole in block or manifold or somethin like that so im told, this problem exists check the web. had a terranno they are bomb proof good mileage better on the later intercooler models,

Getting a vehicle is not going to be your problem, insurance will be!!

First find out what you can insure at a reasonable rate then see what's left in the pot and go from there.

Good look.

Steve

The newer the jeep or car you buy the cheaper it will be too insure. Sounds crazy but its all to do with safety features. thats what i found out when insuring mines

Still not sure why you won't look at the Suzukis?

David.