Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foresters stick (variant)

Foresters stick (variant)

Finished my sticks today...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (8).jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	399.5 KB 
ID:	15667Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (7).jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	413.7 KB 
ID:	15666 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (6).JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	327.5 KB 
ID:	15665 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (4).JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	343.3 KB 
ID:	15663 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (5).jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	338.3 KB 
ID:	15664

Name:	photo (2).jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	393.8 KB 
ID:	15661 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	445.7 KB 
ID:	15669 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (1).jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	409.3 KB 
ID:	15660

Went down the Forester stick route; made a few (a lot of) mistakes - but have learned for the next set!
    • 10ft Hardwood dowel (Ash) (10.25);
    • Old Brass sleeved bolt from a bed (free - pennies);
    • fake (polyester) sheepskin/fleece (free - pennies, "borrowed" from my kids school craft kit);
    • Some old piano key ivories - to cover over mistakes and to sit the magnets behind (free - taken from one of my wife’s old pianos I "disassembled" when we moved house);
    • Whiteboard magnets (free - pennies, "liberated" from work)
    • Exterior Woodstain (free - pennies);
    • Bison wax polish (free - pennies); and
    • Six hours hiding in the garage not being nagged about having my feet up/not having finished work/not doing the washing up/ the kids whining (priceless).
    ~Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (3).jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	604.4 KB 
ID:	15662

Shows the origional Ash Dowel split, the trial spiral cut with coping saw and the test staining.

Name:	photo (9).jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	459.1 KB 
ID:	15668

Magnets recessed in the wood and then one of the ivories laid over the top to keep them from touching.

Range time tomorrow
    Last edited by OSS32; 19-05-2012 at 19:19. Reason: spelling

Very nice OSS32. What did you use to split the dowel? Band saw?

Sundog

no - I used a B&D scorpion (like a big jigsaw with a slightly stiffer blade), a pencil and a tape measure to mark down.

People have said to use a band saw - but I didn't have one, my dad offered his (but he's in Duns and I wasn't travelling up there) and wasn't going to buy one.

It seemed to work fine and only took a few minutes. Just clamped the dowel on a bench and cut down the length following the line.

nice job.
    been thinking of having a go at making one myself. would be grateful if you could post or pm me any advise/tips thanks.
    Sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

I borrowed one of these that Oberon had made when I first went stalking at Sikamalc's and was really impressed with the simplicity and robustness of the design, although it's clearly not an easy thing to make with that spiral cut at the top. I'd buy one of it wasn't for the fact that at something like 1m50 high, it's not a very convenient thing to travel with. But it's a whole lot nicer than the telescopic metal jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
    nice job.
    been thinking of having a go at making one myself. would be grateful if you could post or pm me any advise/tips thanks.
    Sinbad
    Pm if you want more details (mainly the errors I made) but the main advice would be to go for it. I'm no woodworking expert, and I'm pikey as anything, so didn't want to pay a load for materials/tools.

1. Mark the dowel split 6" from top (vertical split)
    2. Clamp and then saw.
    3. Use coping saw to spiral the cut through 90 degrees.
    (if you've got this step wrong then you can repeat the process as the dowels come in 10th lengths)
    (an alternative is the original foresters stick - in which case you miss this step out.)
    4. Mark and cut the lengthwise cut till it meets the first. (different in origional version) f@@k this I'm typing on a mobile.... I'll continue the post from a computer!

Quote Originally Posted by OSS32 View Post
    Pm if you want more details (mainly the errors I made) but the main advice would be to go for it. I'm no woodworking expert, and I'm pikey as anything, so didn't want to pay a load for materials/tools.

1. Mark the dowel split 6" from top (vertical split)
    2. Clamp and then saw.
    3. Use coping saw to spiral the cut through 90 degrees.
    (if you've got this step wrong then you can repeat the process as the dowels come in 10th lengths)
    (an alternative is the original foresters stick - in which case you miss this step out.)
    4. Mark and cut the lengthwise cut till it meets the first. (different in origional version) f@@k this I'm typing on a mobile.... I'll continue the post from a computer!
    Continued from above....
    (in the origional you slice the horizontal cut up till it is parral with the vertical and cut two opposing curves from the vertial to horizontal cuts (best see website for description - www.skydestok.dk/rifle-stick.htm) [I tried a couple of different ways to do this but the best I could come up with was using a knife to essentially whittle the cuts out - I prefered the look of the spiral and it was quicker so I went with that]

5. you now have two pieces of stick
    6. clamp in place and mark you pivot point - drill through 1mm greater than bolt size. (in my first attemt at his I drilled the hole cockeyed) which really f**ked it up.
    7. countersink the brass end of the bolt Drill bit the same size as the brass end.
    8. for the nut and washer end chisel out a recess.
    9. mark the length you want the bottom of the sticks to be:put the bolt in and tighten - DO NOT FIX PERMANATLEY (another mistake) then I found by standing on stairs, with the sticks spread as if rifle was in place, and having one of the midgets mark the position on the sticks it provided a good length.
    10. Clamp sticks, cut to length and shape ends, (being lazy and not a wood worker I chopped using the scorpion to length, marked some rounding, sliced again and then sanded with course through to fine paper till it looked right.
    11. mark where the magnets are going to sit (on both pieces) and then unbolt the sticks
    12. drill hole for magnet and then glue in place, I used pretty strong magnets so then just put a screw in the othe piece. I then overlaid with the ivories (recessed) so they got a good slide when pushed appart. (test how strong to pull is - vary this by the size of screw - with the first screw I used you needed thumbs like garth to open the things).
    13. cut lining for top sides (faux fleece, rubber, tartan etc. and use wood glue to fix (clamp in place till dry)
    14. stain to desired colour - follow instructions on tin
    15. bolt together - tighten to desired opening pressure slacken two turns drop superglue in the bolt and then return the two turns and leave half an hour. The pivot will now turn on the sleve of the bolt not on the thread; but it is locked and can't be undone!
    16. I covered the recess for the nut and washer with two piano key ivories, sofftened in boiling water, moluded to curve, dried then glued in place with wood glue.
    17. I then ran the whole thing over with furniture wax and that was it.

I've missed out general sanding above.

Tools: 1 black and decker scorpion, drill, set of chisels, clamps/workmate, coping saw, sandpaper, pencil and a small child (better if over 4 years old).

I've got a few of the sleved bolts, ivories and plenty of faux fleece; post/pm if you want me to bob some in the post/meet up and collect.

Best
    OSS

Christ my spelling is bad in the morning!

Where did you get the 10ft Hardwood dowel from, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cjm1066 View Post
    Where did you get the 10ft Hardwood dowel from, thanks.
    Local hardware shop, 10.25