Cerakote?

flytie

Dear all,

Has anyone used Cerakote to protect their rifle?

I know Jager/SA on this site has am offer for SD members using his service, but I just wondered if anyone had had this done and used it for a good period of time and could give an informed opinion?

Regards, Simon

James did mine over a year ago and it's fine! Very durable, very happy with mine.

DM, thank you for the information, it's much appreciated.

As Sauer, Mauser & Blaser all have weatherproofing on their rifles it seems to make sense, it will also tone down the shiney stainless on many rifles. I have found that even matt finished stainless glows in the half light and much prefer a matt dark finish to a stalking rifle.

Simon

On metall I think cerakote is better than duracoat.
On composites I prefer duracoat.
edi

Is that Jager/SA in Colchester, if so anybody know if they are still going because I heard they had closed? Tried to get hold of them and got no answer.

James is still up and running, he's just a very busy boy. Try him again if you will.

Redeye

You can do it yourself. I am in the process of doing a digital camo job on one of my ar15s. Time consuming, but satisfying, and certainly a lot cheaper!

Is that Jager/SA in Colchester, if so anybody know if they are still going because I heard they had closed? Tried to get hold of them and got no answer.

James is still around, send him a PM or send me one and I'll pass it on for you.

You can do it yourself. I am in the process of doing a digital camo job on one of my ar15s. Time consuming, but satisfying, and certainly a lot cheaper!

You will certainly not get the same results!, Please do not confuse these products with the B&Q specials. :gheyfight:

I'm sure there are two versions of Ceracoat, the two pack version needs around 120 C to bake in well and
the single pack air dry version i wouldn't waste my time with.

edi

You will certainly not get the same results!, Please do not confuse these products with the B&Q specials. :gheyfight:

Who is confusing what?? You can buy two pack Duracoat online, and use an spray gun to apply it. No rocket science. No I am not an expert but if you look on youtube or various US forums, you will find many people who have done their own guns. Lauer now sell DIY kits so they obviously acknowledge that it can be done!!

Who is confusing what?? You can buy two pack Duracoat online, and use an spray gun to apply it. No rocket science. No I am not an expert but if you look on youtube or various US forums, you will find many people who have done their own guns. Lauer now sell DIY kits so they obviously acknowledge that it can be done!!

It can be done but how many people in Britain are a certified applicator? 1.

The confusion came because a while back someone found a spray can paint in a DIY shop that had the name duracoat.
That "duracoat" had nothing to do with the product that Lauer is selling.
With good preperation anyone can spray duracoat, it is actually one of the nicest paints to spray that I have ever used
and I spray several stocks every week.
Duracoat will cure without oven quite ok but you'll want to give it two weeks at least.
Ceracoat needs an oven.
edi

James is still around, send him a PM or send me one and I'll pass it on for you.

James and several others sell the Lauer Custom Weaponry kit complete with stencils and everyhting you need to do the job yourself, hardly B&Q specials

Ian.

I see the same people come out to play time after time when Duracote is mentioned, which it wasn't in my post. Trotting out the same drivel time after time.

Mind out, here come the goats going over the bridge again.

Sorry, but I asked about Cerakote and its durability. Seeing as the response has been underwhelming I will take it that not many people bother.

Simon

The duracoat on my a-bolt work horse rifle is not showing any wear. However the ceracoat on my Lawton varminting rifle which is handles with kid gloves is showing wear. The scope rails has stood up to having the rings clamped on and off very well.

Both rifles painted by by James. In the future I really don't know what I will go for. But I know I will get James to apply it. His prices for one colour stock and barreled action are cracking.

As far as i am aware Cerakote being a ceramics based coating is far more drable then Duracoat, i have used Duracoat abd Durabake, not impressed with Duracoat with Durabake was not much better had i been able to get Cerakote (at a sensible price) that would have been my first choice of coating.

Ian.

Most pigments in paints are ceramics....
some are harder or more usefull than others.
Compare talcum to nickel oxide, iron oxide... The resin holding them together
is just as important.
edi

Back