Tooth sectioning for ageing deer

morena

These sections were made from molar teeth M 1 and M2 of a fallow buck which had lived in the English midlands. The browse/graze was a mixture of pine/ broad leaf under storey new growth and open meadow. The cementum layer thickness is dependent on the degree of wear on the occlusal surface of the teeth. Greater wear, thicker layer although this never matches wear. Also there is a climatic effect on the differentiation of the layers,softer climate more difficult to interpret. In addition to this a percentage of stags/bucks showed an extra translucent layer at the time of rutting although I find this difficult to interpret with certainty. There may also be a thin dark ' lactation zone ' in the middle of a white zone in Roe does. Once again I find this difficult to interpret ( I must work harder ) M1 photo
M1Toothsection-1.jpg

In order to check my reading of M1 3 bands I also sectioned M2 which shows 2 bands. My interpretation is a 3 year old
M2adjusted.jpg

I would be pleased to work with interested parties for Sika, Roe plus the other species particularly on the Eastern side of Scotland and England to build up a 'jaw board' for their locality. pm me if interested

Back