FLO and max permitted calibres on land

Herbi1969

This is an odd one.....

Spoke to our FLO t'other day about a new piece of land I am in the process of getting to shoot over. I told him that its about 440 acres, fairly flat, lots of drainage ditches, and swimming in CWD and Roe. Told him I wanted to use my 6.5 x 55 Mauser M03. Now he referred to his wall chart, which shows the dangerous travelling distance of various calibres (note - no mention of bullet weights) and ummd and ahhd,
"6.5....well its like a 243...... travels over 2.48 miles......not overly keen really"
I was frankly concerned. I mean its not like I'm going to drop in the round "mortarlike" is it?
Going on this logic I'd need land over 4000acres in size!!
I did mention high seats, etc, but he was not very appreciative.

Anyone else had this??

load of rubbish, tell him distance is not relivent GOOD BACKSTOP IS if you can shoot a 17hmr safely you can shoot a 308 safely

back stop or no shot, backstop or no shot, end of

Oh I totally agree! Its all about the backstop. What I found amazing was this poster with the travelling distances!
Flippin' ridiculous! I couldn't see the relevance.

sounds like a poorly informed guy, tell him you want to use your chosen calibre and like with every shot you fire it is only done with a workable safe backstop. When did cwd, roe start hiding up trees :cuckoo:

More proof that a lot of the firearms licencing staff know very little about firearms and their use in a sporting context. It's like them saying that the HO guidance doesn't approve x calibre for y use so you can't do it. When you point out that the list is a guideline for establishing good reason, and not a set of maximum/minimum calibres you just get blank looks!

I had similar queries raised concerning land area and maximum distance of bullet travel. I ask them how I'd have to fire to get the bullet to go that far: an angle of about 30deg from horizontal, apparently.
I pointed out that if they thought I was going to do that, they had made a serious lapse in judgement in granting me a certificate in the first place.

I think perhaps a similar discussion, during the course of which you leave them in no doubt about your understanding of the need for sound, ricochet-free backstops, might be the way to go.

The travelling distances are extremely important if you are aerial shooting in assessing if the land is safe. So you can agree with him that its unsafe to shoot pheasants etc, in fact your application has already shown you have appreciated this fact as you applied for deer stalking:).

Once you have agreement on the ballistics (he will be an expert), time to impart your extensive knowledge of deer ecology and their modes of
movement. It will no doubt be a revelation to him that deer don’t fly:stir:.

Perhaps best not to mention pigs, convincing him that they don’t fly might be difficult:british:.

This is an odd one.....

Spoke to our FLO t'other day about a new piece of land I am in the process of getting to shoot over. I told him that its about 440 acres, fairly flat, lots of drainage ditches, and swimming in CWD and Roe. Told him I wanted to use my 6.5 x 55 Mauser M03.

Don't get it. Give them the address, and ask them what the land has been cleared for. If it hasn't been cleared, ask them to arrange for it to be inspected, and cleared for the largest caliber considered sensible for 440 acres, I would expect it to easily clear for .308.

Berkhamsted come under the Met', not the easiest by any means, but they recently cleared 200 acres in the area for .308, so 440 shouldn't be an issue. If it's out of the Met area, hope it comes under Hert's, who are really helpful, and accommodating.

Mark.

So if a 6.5 is too much, I suppose he would be happy with a .22-250 and we would all be much safer. What rot.

This sounds like a good reason for you to write a letter detailing all the experience and training you may have had and to request that you are given an open certificate on your rifle(s). Don't call the FEO and ask if it might be granted, just write to the manager. If you were to be successful it would save all this nonsense.

You need to be a member of S.A.C.S. they will take this up with the issuing force,or in this case non-issuing!

Martin

I presume from your OP that your licnece is closed, however in order for you to get your rifle and ammunition conditions for deer fox and vermin etc you must have had a named piece of land which has been cleared for them all?
Surely you can argue that if this land is less in length then the 2.46 mile quoted travelling distance from your FLOs chart, you have a good chance or are you very lucky to have over 4000acres to shoot on.

Ian.

Another demonstration of the absolute need, for these people to go through some basic training on the job that they are supposed to be doing, I am unaware of anyone in industry "doing" a job they cannot fulfil their duties in, (Well not for long anyway!:rolleyes:).

tell him to wind his neck in and put in for a 300win mag , that should shut him up !:D

Love it!

Although I did mention that I wanted to add a 9.3 x 62 for boar, his face was a picture, to say the least!!
The thing is, a lot of FLOs are obsessed with size of calibre not the impacting factors, I mean most will say yes for 22-250 and no for 45-70 despite the 45-70 hitting dirt before the 22-250 is even thinking of going in that direction!
Lets face it, most of them are are a very odd breed........

Love it!

Although I did mention that I wanted to add a 9.3 x 62 for boar, his face was a picture, to say the least!!
The thing is, a lot of FLOs are obsessed with size of calibre not the impacting factors, I mean most will say yes for 22-250 and no for 45-70 despite the 45-70 hitting dirt before the 22-250 is even thinking of going in that direction!
Lets face it, most of them are are a very odd breed........

You make a very good point. Its all about the side of the number after the decimal point for these people. I've long thought that the .358 Winchester (a blown out .308 case) would make an ideal all round deer cal for the shortish range shots I usually take. Less meat damage etc etc. I bet they would sh!t a brick..

As for closed conditions, I think they are only relevant whilst the shooter is still a novice. Once you're not they should be removed.

Back