140grn Federal Powershock

pierred

Been asked to try to replicate a load on these anyone any ideas on the recipe used the bulley looks like a moly soft point ( I think they may be a sierra ) anyone know for sure, a list of other components in the mix would be good also.cal is 6.5-55

Been asked to try to replicate a load on these anyone any ideas on the recipe used the bulley looks like a moly soft point ( I think they may be a sierra ) anyone know for sure, a list of other components in the mix would be good also.cal is 6.5-55

Hi Pierre,

From t'interweb, US of A

I had some major problems with a box of Power-Shock ammo, about 2 years ago. After having to scrap the bullets (way too inconsistent) and brass (bad headspace), I decided to investigate the individual components.

All I could gather was:
1. Federal used Winchester Power Points in certain, older loads; until about 2008. (It varies, depending upon cartridge and load.) I gathered it was a component availability issue.
2. All Power Shock ammo should now have Speer bullets in them.
3. Federal offered to buy back, or swap my bad ammo. I had already scrapped it, though. They couldn't do anything for me. (It's business. I don't blame them.)

Unquote

ATB

Iain

I have recently researched the bullets in federal powershok and believe they are speer grand slam

Nope, as I've got some 7mm Speer GS. These are premium bullets, pricier even than Nosler Partitions, come in 145 grain weight 7mm - not 140 grain 6.5mm, and the cannelure is different. They definitely aren't Sierra either.

Federal Powershok is the budget stuff so likely to be loaded with standard 'cheapish' bullets. My money's on Remington CoreLokt, or a look-alike made in bulk for Federal.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/components/rifle-bullets/core-lokt-bullets.aspx

Last edited:
it varies from calibre to calibre. my fed powershoks in .243 have the traditional lead nose tip cone but it's super rough and ragged and edgy, the one's I have for 6.5 are sort of a big smaller, yet a bit nose-cone like and rough, but the ones I have for 30-06 are more like a recessed/protected point, where there's no lead nose sticking out, even though they are 'soft points'...the 30-06 are by far the best looking and most consistent...but they are deffo different bullets!!!

Thanks for the info lads, after a bit of digging I now believe the heads to be Winchester so I am going to start from scratch with hornady interlocks as Winchester are very difficult to get.

Back