Thread: Loch Lomond Roe

Loch Lomond Roe

Just been out for a walk with the girlfriend round Loch Lomond. There was no wind and it was about 20:00 so I was thinking this was prime deer spotting time. Climbing up a path onto an opening covered in bluebells I was hoping to spot a deer running off after hearing us. Turned out to be a lot better. As I got to the top of the hill I woke a Roe Buck, he slowly got up and had a bit of a stretch and began to browse. I'm pretty sure he could see us but just carried on eating, we walked around him, he wasn't bothered, and got within 5 metres of him. The midgies were biting and girlfriend was getting bored so we started walking away talking at a normal level and he was still wasn't bothered.

I'm pretty new to deer stalking but I reckon he's about 3 years old, he's def a 6 pointer and you can see he's got his summer coat down to the shoulder and then still got the winter coat onwards. What you guys reckon, am I close?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	353.7 KB 
ID:	15696Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0274.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	723.1 KB 
ID:	15697
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0095.jpg  

Did he look well. It's not natural to get that close to roe. Even ones that are used to seeing an hearing humans will move away to a safe distance.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5/284matt View Post
    Did he look well. It's not natural to get that close to roe. Even ones that are used to seeing an hearing humans will move away to a safe distance.
    I think he looked awright but thats the first time I've seen a Roe that close. I reckon a lot of people walk up that way but like you say it's not natural.

Looks a bit out of sorts in the last picture but then again so do I when I have just been woken up ! Where abouts on Loch Lomond was it, I only ask as I stalk up there with a firend who's a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Looks a bit out of sorts in the last picture but then again so do I when I have just been woken up ! Where abouts on Loch Lomond was it, I only ask as I stalk up there with a firend who's a keeper.
    It was literally 2 minutes walk outside Balmaha, awesome views but the midgies are out now...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    I think he looked awright but thats the first time I've seen a Roe that close. I reckon a lot of people walk up that way but like you say it's not natural.
    Do you think it could of been blind? Is there much rapeseed grown in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5/284matt View Post
    Do you think it could of been blind? Is there much rapeseed grown in that area?
    Aye, maybe, now that I think about it. He only looked at us when we made noise, not when we moved. But there's def not any rapeseed about.