Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antlered doe

Antlered doe

Here's a couple of pictures of a 3 point antlered doe in hard antler with kid from the weekend, I saw her on the 14th with twins but she's lost one somewhere between then and Friday. One of those things you very rarely see and when you do they're often shot by accident as bucks. It's the second one I've had on my ground this year, the other one was killed in velvet in the doe season.

Does look strange but there is no anal tush showing???
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

You can't really see the tush on a roe doe in summer coat-it's a lot more obvious in winter. You can see she's bagged up with milk at the back. I've known her for 3 years now and she's definately a doe. She's had a single and 2 sets of twins in that time

Fascinating! Thank you, Benc.

Obviously the bucks don't seem to mind covering a female with such overtly male characteristics.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Quote Originally Posted by Iwrch View Post
    Fascinating! Thank you, Benc. Obviously the bucks don't seem to mind covering a female with such overtly male characteristics.
    I knew a few Matelots like that in Singapore
    Last edited by EMcC; 21-05-2012 at 11:05.

Ben, very interesting - never even seen photo's of an antlered doe before. Does she cast them at them at the same time as the bucks?
    Last edited by Moonraker68; 21-05-2012 at 11:03.

I think she must do although I never seem to see her around casting time. She is in velvet through the doe season, it will be interesting to see whether she develops normal antler configuration on her left this year- she seems to be growing an extra point each year so I'm guessing she'll have 2 points on the right and 3 on the left this winter. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a live one before, seen a few dead ones though.

Very interesting mate ,never seen one before despite the numbers we have .Thanks for sharing .

Very interesting photos Ben, you can see how she could easily be mistaken for a buck. On the subject of tushes, they do seem to vary (by genes/area probably) and some can be a lot more distinct than others, like the two white spots on the muzzle I guess.

Alex