Thread: Theiving fox out-foxed by worse mouth squeak ever!

Theiving fox out-foxed by worse mouth squeak ever!

I was out for "nine holes" last night, my euphemism for slotting bunnies on a local course.
    Strangely all the bunnies seem to congregate on the same side of the course which means I have to walk round the edge and then back to the club house to stay downwind.

I had been zig zagging around knocking off the odd one here and there, had left a small pile in the middle of the fairway in range and shot another one closer to the club house.
    Just popping back to get the ones I had shot and left in a pile I thought I would get the last one near the club house on the way back to the car.

As I was walking back up towards the car park lights I saw something streak away right to left from where I had left my last rabbit!
    Quick look through the Aldi special NV monocular and sure enough it was a fox going like the clappers onto the ajoining fairway. I couldn't see anything in its mouth but when I looked back up the fairway I was on my last rabbit had gone. Baaaaastard! (or BaaaastardS as I later found!)

Quick scan with the NV back to my left and behind and I saw the fox now crossing the fairway I was standing on having gone almost full circle around me.
    Right you sod, no-one nicks my rabbits. I dropped the rabbits and turned to face him and I attempted to "squeak him in"!
    Wearing gloves, holding an NV in one hand and sticks in the other I went for the "lips only" method, .....self taught...last night!
    Unfortunately what come out was the cross between a fart and a trumpet. Desperately trying to purse my lips and get anything remotely "squeaky" out, I settled on what I could be described as "constipated rabbit humping a slightly flat balloon"!

To my utter amazement the fox stopped dead in his track at about 200yds, then to my even further surprise came straight for me with me now fully up wind of him and standing in the middle of the fairway, back lit by the car park and club house lights! Only thing I think saved me was the fact that I had a handful of dead rabbits at my feet.
    Still coming in like a train I didnt think I would have time to get the sticks up let alone the rifle!

Finally got the rifle up and pointed to where the fox was last seen through the NV, quick scan and he was gone! clearly not as stupid as I first thought.
    One more "squeak" for luck to double check and he re-appeared from behind the only tree at about 50 yds out.
    Picked him up with the red filtered lamp and he was still coming at me! Was wondering now if this was some kind of rabid man-eating fox who actually viewed me as prey!

My last squeak attempt sounded worse than the first and obviously confused him enough to stop him before he became so close that I would have had to club him with the butt of the rifle stock.
    He stood still for the last time as I heard the satisfying "pop" as the bullet struck.

not a bad hour spent "golfing"
    5 for 5 but with one bunny "MIA"

Shame the game dealer doesn't pay for big, red, smelly, long tailed, pointy nosed rabbits!

Well done! I had a fox come to the Foxpro last night - like yours, it came from upwind - but from only a few yards from me. By the time I saw it, it was running back to cover - and almost colliding with me in the process. Still - I know it's there now, so I'll start baiting the area and hopefully, I'll get another chance at it before too long...

It can really get your heart rate going when think you might have to kick em off your bayonet!, some Foxes don't respond to anything except the strangest things, like a full on shout, or clapping your hands!!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

a bayonet! why didn't I think of that. awesome idea.
    My rabbit rig is heavy enough as it is with T12, cheek bag, light, battery, sling etc

If I hadnt been so keen to nail him I would have been interested to see how close he would have come!

paddy a keeper gave me a good trick for lamp shy foxes he said use cat food but make sure is fish flavoured once they try it they hooked cant get enuff hope this helps someone

Quote Originally Posted by devonfoxer View Post
    paddy a keeper gave me a good trick for lamp shy foxes he said use cat food but make sure is fish flavoured once they try it they hooked cant get enuff hope this helps someone
    I used dog food in the garden for a couple of pesky "crappers".
    held them in one spot long enough to take care of them.

I pinned the tin to the ground as they will walk off with it otherwise. or you can water it down a bit spread it over small area.

Yep - I have a load of tinned fishy cat food here.

Or nail a (cheapo) tin of sardines in oil to the sunny side of a tree (wide based oaks are a nice backdrop) just above fox jump height and watch the bgrs queue up to lick the tree.

My best so far is 6 off one tin (over 4 separate nights)
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    Or nail a (cheapo) tin of sardines in oil to the sunny side of a tree (wide based oaks are a nice backdrop) just above fox jump height and watch the bgrs queue up to lick the tree.

My best so far is 6 off one tin (over 4 separate nights)
    The trouble is, I like sardines so much, I'd eat them before the foxes got anywhere near...