Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: 22WMR Sako Quad Varmint 14.5" Barrel

  1. #1

    22WMR Sako Quad Varmint 14.5" Barrel

    I purchased a 22WMR barrel for my Sako Quad Varmint just over a month ago and now I am using it a lot more than my 22LR. I have seen loads of questions online about what barrel length works with the magnum so thought I'd pop this up on the www.

    The standard is 22" plus mod and in the Varmint version (heavy barrel) it was such a pain to carry around, point out of a car window and a little too heavy to do free standing shots on those close range bunnies I sent it in for a haircut at my local RFD (R&B Sporting Ross-on-Wye). I dropped it off to them on the Wednesday and they had it back to me the following Monday, high quality work for a good price. It came back at 14.5" and would still do a thumbnail size grouping with my addict hands at 100 yards. I tested the barrel before it was sent away at this range just to see if there was any loss in accuracy and I can safely say on mine it stills shoots as great.

    Below are a few pictures so you can see the grouping and a shot of the rifle in Walnut my 22LR barrel is the same length as well and it still shoots spot on!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1068.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	285.4 KB 
ID:	15713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1067web.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	274.2 KB 
ID:	15717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1057.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	15715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1058.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	314.3 KB 
ID:	15716
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1066web.jpg  

  2. #2
    Nice shooting ths and a lovely looking rifle, what ammo are you using mate i cant get satisfactory groups with the two brands of ammo i can get locally.

    Ian.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Nice shooting ths and a lovely looking rifle, what ammo are you using mate i cant get satisfactory groups with the two brands of ammo i can get locally.

    Ian.
    I use the 30gr Hornady V-Max and pay roughly 13 per 50 so its not to bad as it is tough to get good ammo for the magnum!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ths84 View Post
    I use the 30gr Hornady V-Max and pay roughly 13 per 50 so its not to bad as it is tough to get good ammo for the magnum!
    Thanks for that ths, thats one of the brands i have no problem getting but wont group smaller then 3" @ 100yds.

    Ian.

  5. #5
    Whitebeard, what is the crown like on your rifle?

  6. #6
    The crown was shocking, so i spun the barrel up in the lathe and recrowned it, i have carried out just about every accurising trick i could find online to get this rifle to shoot and it has made no difference, hence i need to try some different brands of ammo to see what it likes.

    Ian.

  7. #7
    Had my quad a couple of weeks now and have settled on hornady 30grn V max Remington were ok, but I found the V max has pulled the grouping in and does the job admirably.

    Pretty impressed with mine

    ATB Phil

  8. #8
    Hello Whitebeard, I use CCI maxi mag in my CZ455. Find them good. Winchester super X would be my fall back, after a rifle zero.

  9. #9
    CCI Maxi-mag together with Hornady 30grn V-max are the two brands i can get locally, my RFD did have some RWS 40grn HPSP and that grouped at 1 1/4" but i had the last box and he said that they wont be ordering anymore.
    At 17.50 for 50 maybe thats a godsend but if its the only ammo that will group consistantly in my rifle then i will buy it.

    Ian.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ths84 View Post
    I purchased a 22WMR barrel for my Sako Quad Varmint just over a month ago and now I am using it a lot more than my 22LR. I have seen loads of questions online about what barrel length works with the magnum so thought I'd pop this up on the www.

    The standard is 22" plus mod and in the Varmint version (heavy barrel) it was such a pain to carry around, point out of a car window and a little too heavy to do free standing shots on those close range bunnies I sent it in for a haircut at my local RFD (R&B Sporting Ross-on-Wye). I dropped it off to them on the Wednesday and they had it back to me the following Monday, high quality work for a good price. It came back at 14.5" and would still do a thumbnail size grouping with my addict hands at 100 yards. I tested the barrel before it was sent away at this range just to see if there was any loss in accuracy and I can safely say on mine it stills shoots as great.

    Below are a few pictures so you can see the grouping and a shot of the rifle in Walnut my 22LR barrel is the same length as well and it still shoots spot on!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1068.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	285.4 KB 
ID:	15713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1067web.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	274.2 KB 
ID:	15717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1057.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	15715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1058.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	314.3 KB 
ID:	15716


    Great post,
    Been thinking of doing the same to a 22wmr myself
    Did you loose much velocity?

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale Saki varmint McMillan stock for sako quad new boxed
    By mmbeatle in forum Firearms
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-10-2011, 16:49
  2. For Sale sako quad varmint original synthethic stock
    By mmbeatle in forum Firearms
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-09-2011, 08:07
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-05-2011, 11:23
  4. For Sale Sako Quad Barrel
    By Richard Parsons in forum Firearms
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-04-2011, 08:55
  5. *SOLD* Sako Quad Varmint Walnut - 17HMR
    By handsomebob in forum Firearms
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 21-12-2010, 19:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •