22WMR Sako Quad Varmint 14.5" Barrel

ths84

I purchased a 22WMR barrel for my Sako Quad Varmint just over a month ago and now I am using it a lot more than my 22LR. I have seen loads of questions online about what barrel length works with the magnum so thought I'd pop this up on the www.

The standard is 22" plus mod and in the Varmint version (heavy barrel) it was such a pain to carry around, point out of a car window and a little too heavy to do free standing shots on those close range bunnies I sent it in for a haircut at my local RFD (R&B Sporting Ross-on-Wye). I dropped it off to them on the Wednesday and they had it back to me the following Monday, high quality work for a good price. It came back at 14.5" and would still do a thumbnail size grouping with my addict hands at 100 yards. I tested the barrel before it was sent away at this range just to see if there was any loss in accuracy and I can safely say on mine it stills shoots as great.

Below are a few pictures so you can see the grouping and a shot of the rifle in Walnut :) my 22LR barrel is the same length as well and it still shoots spot on!

IMG_1068.jpgIMG_1067web.jpgIMG_1057.jpgIMG_1058.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1066web.jpg
    IMG_1066web.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 71
Nice shooting ths and a lovely looking rifle, what ammo are you using mate i cant get satisfactory groups with the two brands of ammo i can get locally.

Ian.

Nice shooting ths and a lovely looking rifle, what ammo are you using mate i cant get satisfactory groups with the two brands of ammo i can get locally.

Ian.

I use the 30gr Hornady V-Max and pay roughly £13 per 50 so its not to bad as it is tough to get good ammo for the magnum!

The crown was shocking, so i spun the barrel up in the lathe and recrowned it, i have carried out just about every accurising trick i could find online to get this rifle to shoot and it has made no difference, hence i need to try some different brands of ammo to see what it likes.

Ian.

Had my quad a couple of weeks now and have settled on hornady 30grn V max Remington were ok, but I found the V max has pulled the grouping in and does the job admirably.

Pretty impressed with mine

ATB Phil

Hello Whitebeard, I use CCI maxi mag in my CZ455. Find them good. Winchester super X would be my fall back, after a rifle zero.

CCI Maxi-mag together with Hornady 30grn V-max are the two brands i can get locally, my RFD did have some RWS 40grn HPSP and that grouped at 1 1/4" but i had the last box and he said that they wont be ordering anymore.
At £17.50 for 50 maybe thats a godsend but if its the only ammo that will group consistantly in my rifle then i will buy it.

Ian.

I purchased a 22WMR barrel for my Sako Quad Varmint just over a month ago and now I am using it a lot more than my 22LR. I have seen loads of questions online about what barrel length works with the magnum so thought I'd pop this up on the www.

The standard is 22" plus mod and in the Varmint version (heavy barrel) it was such a pain to carry around, point out of a car window and a little too heavy to do free standing shots on those close range bunnies I sent it in for a haircut at my local RFD (R&B Sporting Ross-on-Wye). I dropped it off to them on the Wednesday and they had it back to me the following Monday, high quality work for a good price. It came back at 14.5" and would still do a thumbnail size grouping with my addict hands at 100 yards. I tested the barrel before it was sent away at this range just to see if there was any loss in accuracy and I can safely say on mine it stills shoots as great.

Below are a few pictures so you can see the grouping and a shot of the rifle in Walnut :) my 22LR barrel is the same length as well and it still shoots spot on!

View attachment 15713View attachment 15717View attachment 15715View attachment 15716

Great post,
Been thinking of doing the same to a 22wmr myself
Did you loose much velocity?

Great post,
Been thinking of doing the same to a 22wmr myself
Did you loose much velocity?

Ill be honest from my eyes point of view I squeeze the trigger and I see a whole appear on the target board in less than a split second so visually at 100 yards it hasn't really "lost" any velocity. I don't have access to a chrono so I cant say whether its lost "x" fps per inch and I can't tell you what velocity the 30gr V-Maxs are being spat out at :(

On my 22lr barrel I have spotted a big difference in velocity as i'm using subsonics, at 60 yards I can see the head in flight just before it impacts on the target but as its still very accurate and bunnies don't run its fine for me, when I apply for my CF ill be selling on the 22lr barrel and just use the 22WMR for general shooting.

Back