Thread: Surprised myself so much...

Surprised myself so much...

I was out stalking tonight and a big dog fox ran in front of me. As I had the M4 as a backstop I thought I should let him go (I was looking the other way for a buck and glanced over).

I moved back around with the motorway behind me to move back towards the deer and as I moved through the hedge the bloody dog fox was up again, looking back at me the whole time.

I got sticks up in a bit of a blur of excitement and took a bead, as he stopped to look at me I squeezed and he dropped. By this time he was nigh on 200 yards and I couldn't believe it. I broke from routine and didn't reload.

From behind him a buck and doe jumped up and made a full circle until the buck took a broad side 40 yards in front of me, check safety of, squeeze........ balls........

He got away tonight, but I know where he is for next time (I hope).

Got so wound up that I had pulled off a shot at 200 off stick (head shot!!!) I forgot to reload. Schoolboy error.

Think it might have been said before on here "Good Shot, reload"

Moose
    Last edited by moose; 21-05-2012 at 22:02.

Was the fox possibly bemused by your nose? Just asking...
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

The M4 side of Chippenham? Well done - hope it was the b*gger that's been taking my parent's BANTAMS off their lawn in broad daylight.
    Last edited by Moonraker68; 22-05-2012 at 13:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    The M4 side of Chippenham? Well done - hope it was the b*gger that's been taking my parent's off their lawn in broad daylight.
    Bloody hell, a fox taking full grown adults? Why has the Mail not gone to town on that one?

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    Bloody hell, a fox taking full grown adults? Why has the Mail not gone to town on that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    Was the fox possibly bemused by your nose? Just asking...
    This is going to run and run and run......

I'm never sure about your weird 'Southern' humour, but very apt choice of words I'd say...

But I'll interrupt no further as getting off topic - Pax ( for now )
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017