Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full Gralloch v Partial Gralloch

Full Gralloch v Partial Gralloch

Hello all, Stav's post got me wondering about the pros and cons of a partial gralloch ( stomach/ intestines ) over a full gralloch in the field. I have stalked with people who insist on a full gralloch, and also with blokes who 99% of the time only partially gralloch in the field. Thought it would be interesting to hear other folks opinions. Jim.

jim if your not far from the larder great but if your driving a couple of hours home you want a full gralloch
    atbtom

Hi Jim,
    Just sitting up at my stalk waiting for the fog to clear so thought I would reply to you post. I always carry out a full gralloch in the field using minimum cut technique and carry it out in a roe sack to avoid contamination, mainly because I don't have a larder to take it to. Better go wife has just made the breakfast , visibility still only 30 yards.
    Willie

If I have to drag the beast I do a partial gralloch in the field with the smallest possible opening, otherwise I do a full gralloch and bag up the bits I want to keep.

All very well guys but why would you wish to complete a partial gralloch , are you using the pluck for haggis ,or some other delight ,if it is only going home to go in the bin what's the point ???

There is no further requirement for the pluck to be tagged and follow the carcass for inspection , if you have completed you level one, the trained hunter status is there to allow you to check and pass fit the carcass and gralloch into the food chain so why ???

It depends on what area i am stalking urban full beast home gut out only and bagged. Open ground everything out minimum cuts

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    All very well guys but why would you wish to complete a partial gralloch , are you using the pluck for haggis ,or some other delight ,if it is only going home to go in the bin what's the point ???

There is no further requirement for the pluck to be tagged and follow the carcass for inspection , if you have completed you level one, the trained hunter status is there to allow you to check and pass fit the carcass and gralloch into the food chain so why ???
    m i agree with you on this one widows son

Agreed, you don't have to open up the rib cage to do a full gralloch, so no reason not to do a full gralloch just on the basis of safety alone

I suppose it depends if you want the pluck.
    I have never considered it on spoiling grounds but is saves bagging heart and liver and carrying it separately.

Just go the whole hog - gralloch, skin, build a fire, butcher, cook and eat the whole beast - you just leave the bones behind and no problems with carcass spoilage.

Haven't quite gone as far as that, but have butchered a Red stag on a couple of occasions on the hill and in the woods to make so could carry the meat out.