Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Determining Suitable Syndicate Members

Determining Suitable Syndicate Members

I am curious about something as there is often syndicate places advertised on the SD.

It does not effect me in the slightest but I wonder how potential members are vetted once an advert is replied to.

There are a lot of folk desperately looking for spaces and I would imagine that regardless of where the ground is, stalkers from near by and far off are applying. Aside from the obvious requirements by forestry companies, are the spaces in some instances given to the first to reply, or those staying closest or more likely, given some of the previous discussion on here, those staying the furthest away? Are there existing syndicate members all getting together saying 'we don't want a local getting on the ground as they will shoot it out', or do they have the more appropriate (in my opinion) attitude that there are real benefits to someone local having access? Does some syndicate captain really sit down and collate the applications and determine from those that have applied that their experience (which could be lied about and work both ways), qualifications or whatever else is going to get them a place? Does an interview take place? I know guys that have driven a long way to be shown a piece of ground and knew immediately they were not going to get the place that was available.

If there are no control issues and the management of deer is very much recreational I don't suppose it matters where the members are or how often they attend once they have paid their money. But what if it really is a proper 'management to protect a crop' syndicate, which must be the case with some.

This has nothing to do with Englishmen coming to Scotland or vice versa, so please lets not allow this post to degenerate into that.

I would love to know how many responses on average there are to a syndicate place that is advertised, and what distance those applying are prepared to travel...
    Last edited by jamross65; 22-05-2012 at 10:05.

Brian.

Based on about 10 years involvement in syndicates, I suspect most syndicate places are never advertised and that suitable candidates are invited to join these syndicates for a probationary period.

Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Brian.

Based on about 10 years involvement in syndicates, I suspect most syndicate places are never advertised and that suitable candidates are invited to join these syndicates for a probationary period.

Regards JCS
    Thanks JCS

I would also think that most places are filled by friends of those existing members, but it still remains there are a good number advertised on here.

The OP inbox must get a hammering when they appear!

hi brian theres a lot of new stalkers looking for syndicate places and a few people with multiple leases who have lots of stalking they cant possibly manage thousands of acres a few individuals are making money out of this and yes you are on about us englishmen coming to scotland i know you will try and rebuild the wall if alex gets his way
    atb tom

The more you have syndicates that are any good, the lesser the chances of anyone giving up a place, all of my places now go via word of mouth to recommeded people or stalkers i know.

I do actually "feel" for those just starting in stalking, the getting into a syndicate or land permissions must be very frustrating and there are a few people in the world who will take the money for "bad land".

Quote Originally Posted by tom reveley View Post
    hi brian theres a lot of new stalkers looking for syndicate places and a few people with multiple leases who have lots of stalking they cant possibly manage thousands of acres a few individuals are making money out of this and yes you are on about us englishmen coming to scotland i know you will try and rebuild the wall if alex gets his way
    atb tom
    Now Tom, that's not fair. There will be a gate and some keys handed out...

Border control will prevent any amber nectar leaving however....

Seriously, that's why I added the comment about it not being about that. If a space in a syndicate became available within a couple of hours drive for me that had fallow, or munty's or something I did not have access to here, then it could be me applying for a syndicate place in Englanshire...

[QUOTE=jcampbellsmith;380698]Brian.

Regards JCS[/QUOTE

They usually come with a recomendation from standing syndicate members, asking for the stalking for mates to join the syndicates, they are allowed to visit the ground, see if it is for them which it usually is ,they can visit when the wish, shoot what is legal to shoot, generally fill their boots, theres no hidden extras deer are wild animals and come and go as they please, even seasoned professional stalkers have blank days.

Ive heard all the theres no deer crap until i go up and take them by the hand ((usually after i put the brass band back on the bus :-)) to many people want to walk and walk but never sit and watch, listen and when you think you've sat listened and watch long enough sit some more you just may start to learn a little about yourself and the area your stalking and shooting deer in .

The guys rarely come away empty handed they all have taken the time to learn the ground study the maps and sat photos helps them ,the ground being forestry block may not suit the seasoned stalker that wishes to walk all day but has proven with many of the guys off of the stalking directory, somewhere to get a good basis of stalking and gralloching deer and generally cut there teeth .

Quote Originally Posted by HOWDAH View Post
    The more you have syndicates that are any good, the lesser the chances of anyone giving up a place, all of my places now go via word of mouth to recommeded people or stalkers i know.

I do actually "feel" for those just starting in stalking, the getting into a syndicate or land permissions must be very frustrating and there are a few people in the world who will take the money for "bad land".
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I was recommended by a 3rd party. I then went for a meeting with the lease holder, asked a variety of questions, general chat then about 10 days later I was told that he would like me to join. Yes there was a criteria to meet, which I did, but he also wanted to be sure that I was a genuine person with what he regarded as all the ticks in the box.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position