Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time out, what to take?

First time out, what to take?

Hi guys, just after some advice. If I was going out on my first stalk what should I take, what should I be wearing?

I have a realtree jacket but thats it at the mo. I don't have any binos either but hoping I can borrow my dad's until I have the money to get some of my own. I have some hiking boots which I'm hoping won't be squeaky. I've never been out before, you can probably tell from the questions, but interested to hear what you guys think.

Cheers

Is it hill stalking, say for reds on the open hill, or woodland stalking?

Also will you be with a "stalker" i.e. is it a paid day with a professional stalker?
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Is it hill stalking, say for reds on the open hill, or woodland stalking?

Also will you be with a "stalker" i.e. is it a paid day with a professional stalker?
    It would be woodland stalking, and I would be with a "stalker".

In that case the "stalker" will probably have everything necessary to deal with the deer and so on. Given this if you are going to be out all day then the only thing you really need is suitable clothing, binos and something to eat/drink. I'm assuming you are going to be using an "estate rifle" but if not then you need a suitable, legal rifle with an appropriate sight that is zeroed plus enough ammo for a few shots at a target plus what you need while stalking (I carrying 8 while stalking but usually have 20 to hand if I'm going to have to shoot at a target)

Try and carry as little as you can.

It might be best to make contact with the stalker and ask him what the format of the day is likely to be - he might go out for a few hours in the morning and then return to the car or even to home or a cafe for breakfast in which case you don't need to carry much other than a snack and maybe something to drink. On the other hand if he is going out all day then you may need your lunch and in this instance ask if he normally carries a rucksack that you can put your lunch into, otherwise everything has to go in your pocket.

I always think spare boot laces are a priority item as without them you can find yourself in trouble, or at least extreme discomfort.

If you intend to do the gralloch then it might be nice to take your own knife, though I'm sure the stalker would lend you one, and for a late finish a torch is a handy thing both for a late gralloch and also to find your way out. However, you don't need these if you are with a stalker.

The choice of clothing is always going to get as many answers as there are people but more and more I'm moving over to the army surplus stuff and I now wear a windproof smock for most of my stalking as the pockets are great, it is robust, and with the application of nicwax it is as waterproof as you need. Even better is that they are available from about 10 - about 30. At this time of year surplus trousers will probably also do your job for less than 10. Earlier in the year I did some cammo tests and the German Flecktarn came out well so they are worth a look if you might think you need to buy anything:

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/37399-DPM-v-MTP-cammo-test?highlight=cammo+test

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/38163-Cammo-test-MTP-v-Flecktarn-v-Advantage-timber?highlight=cammo+test

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/38437-Cammo-test-plain-green-plain-brown-and-tweed-print?highlight=cammo+test

In that case the "stalker" will probably have everything necessary to deal with the deer and so on. Given this if you are going to be out all day then the only thing you really need is suitable clothing, binos and something to eat/drink. I'm assuming you are going to be using an "estate rifle" but if not then you need a suitable, legal rifle with an appropriate sight that is zeroed plus enough ammo for a few shots at a target plus what you need while stalking (I carrying 8 while stalking but usually have 20 to hand if I'm going to have to shoot at a target)

It might be best to make contact with the stalker and ask him what the format of the day is likely to be - he might go out for a few hours in the morning and then return to the car or even to home or a cafe for breakfast in which case you don't need to carry much other than a snack and maybe something to drink. On the other hand if he is going out all day then you may need your lunch and in this instance ask if he normally carries a rucksack that you can put your lunch into, otherwise everything has to go in your pocket.

I always think spare boot laces are a priority item as without them you can find yourself in trouble, or at least extreme discomfort.

If you intend to do the gralloch then it might be nice to take your own knife, though I'm sure the stalker would lend you one, and for a late finish a torch is a handy thing both for a late gralloch and also to find your way out. However, you don't need these if you are with a stalker.

The choice of clothing is always going to get as many answers as there are people but more and more I'm moving over to the army surplus stuff and I now wear a windproof smock for most of my stalking as the pockets are great, it is robust, and with the application of nicwax it is as waterproof as you need. Even better is that they are available from about 10 - about 30. At this time of year surplus trousers will probably also do your job for less than 10. Earlier in the year I did some cammo tests and the German Flecktarn came out well so they are worth a look if you might think you need to buy anything:

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/37399-DPM-v-MTP-cammo-test?highlight=cammo+test

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/38163-Cammo-test-MTP-v-Flecktarn-v-Advantage-timber?highlight=cammo+test

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/38437-Cammo-test-plain-green-plain-brown-and-tweed-print?highlight=cammo+test

Thanks for all info mate, much appreciated.

Sound advice, take every bit of kit that you think you might need and after the advice from your professional stalker you will probably leave most of it in your vehicle. Essentials:- appropriate weatherproof clothing, rifle, small quantity of ammunition, stalking sticks, mobile phone (turned off). Useful:- binoculars, camera,
    tip for professional stalker (perhaps this should be under "essentials"), possibly also a pull through. atb Tim

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    When it comes to clothing, don't forget gloves and a hat.

Don't get too hung up on wearing camo. Walking three dogs this morning, dressed in blue jeans and a green fleece top, I still managed to get well within shooting distance of a roe buck and a roe doe. In both cases it was movement that gave me away in end, not clothing.

Above all, enjoy the day and let us know how it goes.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it. Will let you all know how its goes when I eventually get out there.

The main thing is to get out and enjoy yourself and not get too hung up on "stuff."

By the nature of this forum we talk about getting the right "stuff" and so on a lot.

The truth with deer stalking is that it is, basically, a very, very simple process that requires little other than your rifle so on here we (me included) have to find smaller and smaller details to talk about in order to give us anything to say at all. The bottom line is that you walk about a bit, make a hole in a deer and wait until at falls over at which point you rip its internal organs out and eat what's left. The only sport that's less involved than walking in a wood and shooting a deer is walking in a wood and not shooting anything.

Your mission, should you chose to accept it, is to get out there and enjoy this process without getting too hung up on the "stuff" that we all talk about because we have nothing else to do with our time!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it. Will let you all know how its goes when I eventually get out there.
    Must have: toilet paper. Deffo in case you need to lighten the load.