Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oban

Oban

I have been across in oban the past couple of days discussing some work with a potential customer and have been pleasantly surprised at how beautiful the area is. Maybe it is the sudden spell of fantastic weather we are experiencing across the uk but I have really enjoyed my visit. Hopefully I will be spending a few days here again in the near future

Keith

Keith

That part of the country in this weather is simply stunning. The beaches have sand similar to that found abroad except they are normally pretty empty. Although the sea there has to be one of the coldest waters I have ever swam in! You are a lucky man getting to spend some time there. If you have any down time it is worth the drive to the Gareloch area as well...

A timely post.

We are spending a few days in the area before heading over to the Hebrides in early July.

Any recommendations for wild camping locations in both areas?

North East Isle of Mull.
    White sands, catches the remnants of the Gulf stream, water is warmer than on the east side and the sheltered mainland coastline.

terrible midgies though!

Beautiful part of Scotland! I even enjoy the drive to it!

My part of the world. So feeling quite pleased that it is recognised!

Quote Originally Posted by ksb View Post
    I have been across in oban the past couple of days discussing some work with a potential customer and have been pleasantly surprised at how beautiful the area is. Maybe it is the sudden spell of fantastic weather we are experiencing across the uk but I have really enjoyed my visit. Hopefully I will be spending a few days here again in the near future

Keith

As you say Keith stunning, at one time I used pass through on the way to Toberory to visit relatives regularly,

who then decided to move to Stormness which is also stunning weather permitting of course.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    One of my favorite places, been there many times.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Spent a year ghillying and stalking on one of the small isles. Absolutely amazing in all weathers, though I always think that the rugged scenery is best suited to stormy weather, or misty, foggy weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    A timely post.

We are spending a few days in the area before heading over to the Hebrides in early July.

Any recommendations for wild camping locations in both areas?
    Our best holiday was a 'go where we pleased' trip to Oban/Mull and then on to the Hebredies. The wildlife is truely world class.

Here's afew sites: ferry fm oban to mull, docking at Salen - stacks of wild campsites around on the south side of Loch na Keal, we had otters up to the van at dawn and sea eagle fishing right in front of us. Turn around and look up onto Ben More and we watched Golden Eagles the size of handgliders just riding the thermals. We slept on the peir down at Carsaig on the south side of the isle GR544213 and cooked fresh crab on an open fire.

Ferry back to Oban and then directly back out to Lochboisdale on south uist. camped on the beach to the west at GR738165 map sheet 31 then headed north through Benbecula and the ferry over to Harris after a night overlooking the sound of Taransay. Unfortunately 1 other campervan turned up here so my son (9 at the time) made the dogs bark until they moved on, good lad.
    On to Harris and the best site we had was to the west of Miabhaig above a small beach at Mangurstadh. We surfed the atlantic breakers here until it got dark, showered in a burn running off the hill which was warmer than the sea then BBQ'd on the beach. The next morning me and the boy went out on a 'sea safari' by RIB from Miabhaig with a company called Seatreks I think it was, worth a trip.
    Further up onto Lewis was different again, windswept and truely stunning, the beach at Tolsta Head is fantastic, we spent our lastnight there before sailing back to Ullapool, when boy was highly amused to watch her in doors throwing up over the side as the ferry rolled across to the mainland.
    We will go again sometime, the problem is that there are so many stunning places to go on the west coast, with not enough time to visit them all, until I move there.