Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone use .204 cal rifle?

Anyone use .204 cal rifle?

Was chatting to my shooting buddy about CF rifles last night and he'd been looking into the .204. Tbh I'd not heard of this cal so does anyone use it?

Quick wiki look tells me it's a fox or long range bunny only cal as the bullet weight isn't enough to take munties or CWD!

Cheers

What is the price/availability of ammo?

Was gonna be my next question as my local chaps don't stock it mate!

Rifles seem ok price for 2nd hand on guntrader though.

Howa why so special then mate are they low recoil? Do you use it for charlie only?

Ta

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Quick wiki look tells me it's a fox or long range bunny only cal as the bullet weight isn't enough to take munties or CWD!

Cheers
    As it is below a .224 yes, not legal on Muntjac or CWD. The irony of it is that with the popular 39 or 40 gr bullet, it generates more muzzle energy than popular bullet weights coming out of a .223 or .222.

I have a variation on the 204 Ruger - namely a 20 Tac. Know a few people shooting the 20 - all happy bunnies.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
    As it is below a .224 yes, not legal on Muntjac or CWD. The irony of it is that with the popular 39 or 40 gr bullet, it generates more muzzle energy than popular bullet weights coming out of a .223 or .222.
    That may be true at the muzzle. But the faster you push a bullet, the higher the rate of deccelation too. So 200 yards down range, how does it compare to a 55gr bullet with a MV of 3250fps, say?

Been running a 20 Tactical for about 10+ years now (got it back when the normal response was "A .20 what?"), and its a great caliber/cartridge. Stuff hit with it...dies. Period.

As to its accuracy, I think Muir can attest to some shots taken with it (460yds with H322 and a 32gr VMAX=Bad day for the Prairie Dogs)

True enough!
    The cartridge is great. Even I killed a prairiedog with it. (64 yards)(took me only three shots...)~Muir

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    been on the 20 tac trail since reading todd kindlers write up,http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...miLAkRshLmfB5A

been using one for FEW YEARS NOW,

STUNNING CALIBRE: does more than it says on the tin.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by JMS906 View Post
    That may be true at the muzzle. But the faster you push a bullet, the higher the rate of deccelation too. So 200 yards down range, how does it compare to a 55gr bullet with a MV of 3250fps, say?
    From Hornady website

.204 ruger 40gr vmax - Muzzle 3900fps - 200yds 3103fps - 300yd drop 4.3"

.223 Rem 55gr vmax - Muzzle 3240fps - 200yds 2500fps - 300yd drop 7"

I'm a novice to CF rifles but I reckon a munty would not like the .204 very much?!

Cheers

mate uses 204 on foxes 32gr better than 40gr imo. Anything shot is pretty much dead where it was hit, we have opened up a fox that was hit high in the backside as it dissappeared through a hole in a dyke , it managed another step and was dead in it's tracks when opened up it was mush and looked like it had been shot with a shotgun full of glitter. It can drift a bit in wind and is hopless through even the lightest cover, tending to vapourise on contact with rushes ect . but a 7mm wi mag can brash it's way through scrub to a fox when that shot is required . All in all i think the 204 is a topper of a calibre for foxes and definitly has its uses.