Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: when a tick bite goes bad

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

when a tick bite goes bad

hi all.

what can i put on a tick bite that the dog has scratched when the tick was killed by that action,

he scratched it and it dies in him, i then found it with the dead carcass in place and its now looking a tad red, i have removed the dead tick etc but its not clearing up as fast as i thought it would (been about 3 days now.)

cheers

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Hi Bob, When I saw the title I thought you had heard about me !
    Got bit in March and am still on anti-biotics, go for final (I hope) test and blood results on the 31st.
    Sorry can't offer any advice ref your dog.

I used tea tree oil last time this happened to my spaniel, worked a treat, swelling and redness was gone over night, and no subsequent infection, one of natures most powerfull natural antiseptics, and it certainly works.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    I used tea tree oil last time this happened to my spaniel, worked a treat, swelling and redness was gone over night, and no subsequent infection, one of natures most powerfull natural antiseptics, and it certainly works.

+1 for Tea Tree

I was bit recently and the red patch disappeared after a few days. If you are worried about your dog it maybe worth trip to the vet for some antibiotics..

Ticks on Dogs - Tick Removal and Prevention for Dogs

The big problem comes when mouthparts are left behind. Once that has happened there is very little you can do. I have found antibiotics settle things down but they frequently come back. A number of times I have had to surgically remove tissue to settle the reaction.

Ticks do secrete various compounds that reduce the level of irritation when they are attached and it is 'normal' to see more reaction when the tick has gone. If that is the case I suspect even homoeopathy would work as whatever you use the dog will get better anyway!

Lets hope you got it all out!

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I was bitten 3 times a few weeks ago and i'm still itching now keeps flaring up i hate ticks

Another vote for tea tree oil , had a nasty bugger on the cat( a right battle to sort it out) but it does work wonders

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Thank you All very much.

i have removed the whole lot (i think) but the smell of this off coloured watery fluid thats coming out is awful, im of to the hospital today so ill drop in somewhere and collect some tea tree oil and see what that does,

i have bathed it 2 times now and he seems to be settling down. but last night i noticed he had been itching it again and there was some blood around the area.

ill keep you posted.

regards and thanks

bob ( and cozzy)
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Re. Tea Tree Oil - make sure you use fresh oil. If the bottle has been opened, or exposed to sunlight, the oil oxidises and then can cause some pretty nasty reactions in some people. Be careful about using that old bottle that has been in the bathroom cabinet for many years.

Bog Myrtle oil has pretty similar antiseptic properties to Tea Tree oil. If I was out in the hills I would rub bog myrtle leaves to give antiseptic effect.