Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parker-Hale 1200TX - trigger options?

Parker-Hale 1200TX - trigger options?

I've got two of these rifles. They are Mauser 98 action made in Santa Barbara in Spain. They are ex-club guns and the triggers are mediocre to say the least. I read somewhere that PH triggers have two redeeming features: 1. they have good aerodymanic properties and 2. they are heavy. This means that when you hurl your trigger out into a lake it goes out far and sinks rapidly. :-)

I know how to adjust the trigger weight, but I'm going to have to file down forward end of the grub screw because when turned out far enough to give me a 2lb pull, the head fouls the forward action securing bolt. So a replacement unit may make sense.

I got hold of a new Timney #302 (Featherweight Deluxe 98K Mauser FDM-98K). But this isn't listed on the Timney website and Timney tell me it's the wrong trigger and I need a #101, #201, or #301. I asked but Timney didn't say why the #302 is the wrong unit.

Has anyone got a Timney fitted to a 1200TX?

-JMS

Nope sorry but somehow I think in the past some club expert must have abused the trigger units as I own a 1200TX and the trigger is very good indeed.

Have you considered cleaning the trigger units and setting them up from scratch?

I suspect that this has not been done.

I am going through this on another thread.
    can you post a picture of your timney?
    It is the sear profile that is the issue I think

the PH trigger when set up properly is actually pretty good. it is almost identical to the Timney and other makes with adjustable backlash, throw and pull.

I have just rebuilt one from spare parts and it breaks very cleanly.

would be interested in your Timney if you are selling it......

Established Poster
    here are some pictures that may help, The left hand trigger #201 works with the top bolt (PH) the right trigger #101 works with with the bottom bolt (K98) I don't know about the #302 but the #301 is the #201 with a safety, The Parker Hale trigger will only work properly with the PH type cocking piece. Robert.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	detail_32_201_F_M98FNSm.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	15822 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	detail_31_101_SP_M98_FNSm.png 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	15821Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K98 cocking pieces.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	15823

Quote Originally Posted by robertw View Post
    The Parker Hale trigger will only work properly with the PH type cocking piece.

I have two parker hales and one has one of the cocking pieces you show above and the second one has the other kind in your picture.
    From what I can see it is only the front profile that engages the sear.
    Now I am confused!

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Nope sorry but somehow I think in the past some club expert must have abused the trigger units as I own a 1200TX and the trigger is very good indeed.

Have you considered cleaning the trigger units and setting them up from scratch?

I suspect that this has not been done.
    Yes, I've had them apart and cleaned them. No, some ham-fisted idiot wielding a file has not been let loose on them. They aren't damaged, they just aren't that good to start with. They are adequate on a club or county class rifle which is what these are. But they aren't as good as as, for example, a SAKO factory trigger. They were made down to a price and it shows. It's similar to the situation where my friend thought his Russian binoculars were pretty good. I lent him my Zeiss B/GATs for half an hour. Then I gave him his Roooshin bins back, and he had cursed me ever since. You won't know a bad one until you've had a good one. :-)

I would take a photo of the Timney #302 that I have, but it is in the still sealed packaging and the safety catch lever obscures the sear.

-JMS

Quote Originally Posted by robertw View Post
    here are some pictures that may help, The left hand trigger #201 works with the top bolt (PH) the right trigger #101 works with with the bottom bolt (K98) I don't know about the #302 but the #301 is the #201 with a safety, The Parker Hale trigger will only work properly with the PH type cocking piece. Robert.

Name:	detail_32_201_F_M98FNSm.png 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	15822 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	detail_31_101_SP_M98_FNSm.png 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	15821Click image for larger version. 

Thank you, that's most helpful. The #302 looks like the #201 with the addition of the safety catch. I'll have to take a look at the bolts, but I'm pretty sure they like the upper example. I'll have a word with Hannams next week if I get a chance.

-JMS

Quote Originally Posted by JMS906 View Post
    Yes, I've had them apart and cleaned them. No, some ham-fisted idiot wielding a file has not been let loose on them. They aren't damaged, they just aren't that good to start with. They are adequate on a club or county class rifle which is what these are. But they aren't as good as as, for example, a SAKO factory trigger. They were made down to a price and it shows. It's similar to the situation where my friend thought his Russian binoculars were pretty good. I lent him my Zeiss B/GATs for half an hour. Then I gave him his Roooshin bins back, and he had cursed me ever since. You won't know a bad one until you've had a good one. :-)

I would take a photo of the Timney #302 that I have, but it is in the still sealed packaging and the safety catch lever obscures the sear.

-JMS
    Oh dear I guess I had better tell Carl that his rifle has a ***** trigger too. Cannot compare with a Sako seems nothing compares with a Sako trigger. Not his RPA Range Master, Not his Konnigsberg prone target rifle, not a Sauer 2000, nor a Sportco Model 44 or even a custom rifle with a Kepplinger single sett trigger ................................. nope nowt comes close to the Sako.

Give me a break!

Over the years I have shot an awful lot of makes of rifle including the much vaunted Sako 75, Tikka T3 and frankly neither really impressed. The old Sako L61 was much better IMHO.

So I am quite aware of what a good trigger should be and properly set up the P-H one is actually a good trigger.

Now I honestly wish I could say I was impressed by most "serious" target shooters. Sadly the way they treat their rifles is awful I treat my screwdrivers better than a lot of them treat their rifles.

Established Poster
    Now I honestly wish I could say I was impressed by most "serious" target shooters. Sadly the way they treat their rifles is awful I treat my screwdrivers better than a lot of them treat their rifles.[/QUOTE]

+1 On that Brit, I have Remington 40X .308 that was used for NRA fullbore don't know how many owners,
    but one must have been Bubba, it's a mess I would post a picture but it would make you crie,
    I have a brand new stock for it and a good gunsmith, the 40X trigger is a factory tweaked 700 type
    much better than standard I have it set at 12oz , Not sure if they still make them. Robert.

I think the most classic case of abuse seen on the firing point was at Bisley where a serious competitor after every shot unhooked his sling and just dropped the rifle into the cradle rest, nevr placed it just dropped it, where it bounced and rattled about. Later I found him in Fultons complaining about the rifle not maintaining zero. A quiet word with Rob there was in order. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when th "Shooter" returned.

My own 1200TX whilst not abused came more under neglected banner. The bore was clean as was the bolt and trigger but the crud on the stock espeicallt the forestock where the glove goes and the pistol grip had to be seen to be believed. In fact after cleaning the whole rifle Carl at Reepham did not believe it was the same rifle. He was there then I did the deal to acquire it so knew the rifle. Sadly I only got to test the rifle briefly at 75M before the hassles descended here but it showed much promise. Oh yes I did remove the trigger shoe ......................................... cannot see the need for them but some seem to not be able to manage without them.

The P-H type trigger is designed with a an adjutment range of 2-5lbs:-

The problem seems to be that some shooters cannot cope with such a heavy trigger and then mess with them to make them go lower then complain about the unit. I wonder if they still check trigger weight of pull for the Imperial Meeting?