Thread: 0.36 or 9mm, interchangeable?

0.36 or 9mm, interchangeable?

Hi all,

A friend of mine is considering buying a rook gun chambered for 0.36, I think that was an old service revolver ammo?
    Would a rook gun chambered for the 0.36 cartridge be able to use 9mm parabellum or such like in place of the original if it was hard to come by?
    I know that .357magnum revolvers can be used with .38 Special (but not the other way round), does the same interchange apply to rifles chambered for handgun cartidges though?

Thanks
    T
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

There are a number of Rook cartridges "around" 9mm. If it is a centerfire rimmed case, I might wonder if it isn't a 360 Rook chambering. I had a 360#5 on a single shot of unknown maker. (It just had .360 on the barrel) I determined that it was a .360 Rook after a lot of measurements. I made brass from .38 Special cases trimmed to 1" in length and shot an oversized 145 grain bullet over a few grains of Unique. I sized them in carbide 38 Special dies but finished in 38 S&W dies. (ala Webly Revolvers) I always wondered if 38S&W, with it's fatter bullet would shoot as-is but never tried it. The accuracy I got was mediocre with the brief efforts I put into it so I traded it back to the dealer for something more interesting. Wish I had that action now!~Muir

You wouldn't be able to chamber 9mm parrabelum (luger) ammunition in such a rifle but as Muir says you should be able to manufacture ammunition using .38 special cases as the starting point. The best source of information that I can think of for such rifles is a book by Colin Greenwood - Rook and Rabbit Rifle. Colin describes the how to adapt cases to be shot in such rifles.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Thanks guys!
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

I got curious and looked into my literature. If it is a .360 and you plan on loading, a lead 9mm bullet can be paper patched with cigarette paper up to the proper diameter for your rifle. I found .361" joy in an old, oversized Lyman 145 grain RN mold. I wonder how "Trail Boss" powder would work?? Probably give black powder velocities. Got a picture?? ~Muir

Thanks again Muir
    The firearm in question is up for auction, so I don't have photos, sorry
    Thanks for the advice, sounds like the best advice to my buddy may be to think again.

It could be remarkably easy to make ammo for or almost impossible. If he is looking for a practical weapon, he should look elsewhere. If he is looking for a project to invest some time on, it might be quite rewarding.~Muir

Hhi Muir
    I think he is going to go down the rewarding & interesting project route.
    I got an email this morning indicating that he is gonna buy the rifle and start to make ammo for it himself.
    I hope to get involved too, of course.
    We might well be in touch for more advice if that is ok by you?
    ATB
    T

Sure. PM me and I'll start you down the path...~Muir