Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .243 - to clean or not to clean?!

.243 - to clean or not to clean?!

I bought a browning xbolt in .243 last year (I've had a lot of problems with it!) - the latest was an inability to shoot a decent group... which I eventually worked out was due to the rifle being clean!!!

I was told to always clean my .243 after shooting - I'm a deer stalker so it's all about the first shot being through a clean and cold barrel... trouble is it doesn't group 3 shots when it's clean and cold!!! My .17hmr won't shoot straight unless it's clean, and my .22 won't shoot straight unless it's dirty (so I never clean it).

It settles down after about 6 shots, and I'm able to shoot very good groups when I zero at 100yds... but by then the barrel is warm, and being a fluted barrel the zero seems to shift!!!

So my questions are:
    • Should I bother cleaning it if it doesn't like it? - Once zeroed I'll only use it for the odd deer.
    • Does anyone else have an issue with fluted barrel's moving zero when warming up?
    • Does anyone know a magic trick that will swap my xbolt for something more sensible free of charge and without having to wait 4 months for a variation?!

Thanks,
    Rich

Rich,

I have an x-bolt .243 stainless fluted and was told only clean it if it gets wet or on loss of zero. I have put 140 shots through it, not cleaned it and it groups fine.

ATB

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    I bought a browning xbolt in .243 last year (I've had a lot of problems with it!) - the latest was an inability to shoot a decent group... which I eventually worked out was due to the rifle being clean!!!

I was told to always clean my .243 after shooting - I'm a deer stalker so it's all about the first shot being through a clean and cold barrel... trouble is it doesn't group 3 shots when it's clean and cold!!! My .17hmr won't shoot straight unless it's clean, and my .22 won't shoot straight unless it's dirty (so I never clean it).

It settles down after about 6 shots, and I'm able to shoot very good groups when I zero at 100yds... but by then the barrel is warm, and being a fluted barrel the zero seems to shift!!!

So my questions are:
    • Should I bother cleaning it if it doesn't like it? - Once zeroed I'll only use it for the odd deer.
    • Does anyone else have an issue with fluted barrel's moving zero when warming up?
    • Does anyone know a magic trick that will swap my xbolt for something more sensible free of charge and without having to wait 4 months for a variation?!

Thanks,
    Rich
    Wondered how long it would take to ask!!!!!!

It sounds like you need to get the factory bedding sorted out.

There are also some cleaners that claim do not alter the POI from a clean barrel. Have you tried them?

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    It sounds like you need to get the factory bedding sorted out
    I have a friend with an x-bolt fluted .243 who had exactly the same problem. It turned out to be the bedding as suggested above - he spent ages trying to get it zero'd before realising what the problem was (he's had the bedding sorted now and it shoots very accurately).

I have started using wipeout to clean all my rifles.
    1st shot slightly off zero then business as usual, not expensive and seems to do a good job.
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

When you clean do you remove all carbon and copper?

The reason i ask is maybe your rifle only needs the carbon removed.

Quote Originally Posted by 243 Stalker View Post
    Rich,

I have an x-bolt .243 stainless fluted and was told only clean it if it gets wet or on loss of zero. I have put 140 shots through it, not cleaned it and it groups fine.

ATB
    Thanks - will give that a go!

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    I have a friend with an x-bolt fluted .243 who had exactly the same problem. It turned out to be the bedding as suggested above - he spent ages trying to get it zero'd before realising what the problem was (he's had the bedding sorted now and it shoots very accurately).
    So bedding in - basically just carry on shooting it and don't clean it then?

Quote Originally Posted by weejohn View Post
    When you clean do you remove all carbon and copper?

The reason i ask is maybe your rifle only needs the carbon removed.
    Yep have been removing all carbon and copper, but also had the same problem when I just used a boresnake... so I'm thinking I should just avoid cleaning it altogether? Maybe the odd dry pull through with a patch?