Thread: How does hot weather affect deer?

How does hot weather affect deer?

The car thermometer recorded 28C this afternoon!

Would you say deer will stay deep in cover untill it gets cooler late in the evening or come out to enjoy the sun?

Cheers,
    Peri

i would think they would want to be out in it sunning themselfs after a good feed napping in the sun weather wise we dont get many good days so i would think like us they will want to benifit from it . on my small permission they usually lay up on a headland in the long grass you can stalk right past them without them moving. it isnt till later on they emerge when things have cooled down to feed again. i stalked down a headland alongside a rapefield last night it had a thin area where the rape hadnt grown much i stalked past and after getting about forty yrds past a yong doe emerged behind me i only saw her as my dog spun round he must have winded her i can only think she had been layed down asleep. the ground i have in scotland the deer havnt been moving till later when the suns been up so i have started stalking later on as i was stalking first light and not seeing anything till later when it had warmed up, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

just like people they like the sun but too much heat sends woodland deer to shade and cover, on nights like we've been having they're well out in the open on the evening as the sun drops away.

Paul is correct so if you going stalking be aware the deer will be well out of a morning if your not read you could see white or cream coloured asses disappearing.

Took this picture mid-afternoon today, may help answer your question but saw a herd of fallow deer out grazing in the sun,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3885.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	632.7 KB 
ID:	15814
    And yet another 7mm-08 user...

In the highlands, the reds will tend to head for high ground in really warm weather in my experience. Where they haven't got a mountain to climb you'll often find them during the day wallowing in mud/water and lying in the shade. They do better in cold weather than in hot, especially as some of them might not be totally rid of their winter coats yet.

Thanks guys!

I suppose it makes sense. Warm and they will be out, too hot and they will stay in cover. I did see 2 different roe does resting in fields with tall grass last weekend when it was cooler. I was scanning the far hedge and noticed pairs of ears siticking out in the middle of the field!

One of the reasons I love morning stalks in June, deer out well away from the cover, 03:30 in the morning with not a soul in sight!

Quote Originally Posted by Rotwild View Post
    Took this picture mid-afternoon today, may help answer your question but saw a herd of fallow deer out grazing in the sun,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3885.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	632.7 KB 
ID:	15814

Nice picture.....Always great to see some images to break up forum posts