Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Murder buck

Murder buck

I got this murder buck at last light on Monday. I had spotted him a couple of times in the doe season. He would come come out of the wood and feed in a new plantation following a very similar route. On Monday there was no action in the area that I was stalking, so at last light I moved to where I thought he might be. Sure enough he has out. I crept through the bushes towards him and I think we saw me, but was not sure what I was and started moving even closer. I had to shoot him at a slight angle as he was becoming nervous and was just about to make a run for it. The bullet entered through the chest, hit the lungs and exited behind the other shoulder. Interestingly the buck showed little reaction to the shot. It run for about 50m and collapsed dead.

The owner of the land was over the moon I took the buck, that he gave me a free stalk. Also I got a good price for the venison and an unusual head for my wall...what a result!!!

Cheers,
    Pei
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image0376.jpg  

Good result Peri!! Always good to grass a murder buck. How are those RWS rounds working for you?

ATB

Rob
    243Sako

So how did you know or come to the conclusion it was a murder buck???

forgive my ignorance but what is a "murder buck"?

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    Stone,

I was under the impression that bucks with no tines are called murder bucks, because their antlers don't interlock with the antlers of another buck. As a result they can easily spear and kill other bucks. Have I got that wrong>

Cheers,
    Peri

U
    I could be wrong but I think it's the antlers that give them the name rather than actually killing other bucks. I shot one a fews weeks ago but smaller.

It looks as though it might do a bit of rutting damage to me Rich

Well done Peri but every buck i get now adays is murder to stalk murder to carry off and murder to larder. Murder bucks every were.

Quote Originally Posted by Peri View Post
    Stone,

I was under the impression that bucks with no tines are called murder bucks, because their antlers don't interlock with the antlers of another buck. As a result they can easily spear and kill other bucks. Have I got that wrong>

Cheers
    Peri
    So is a good spiker a murder buck??
    Or an old buck going back also a murder buck??

These are things we really need to take into perspective when choosing a buck to cull and then refrain it to a murder buck
    At this time of the year no one can call a buck on how it reacts in how it defends it's territory unless they see it in action
    Most murder bucks learn that stabbing at the side or chest area of an opposing buck can they disable it easily
    Murder bucks don't fight fair
    The fact it's antler configuration is possible of inflicting such damage is not a measure to be condemned for with out real reason

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    It looks as though it might do a bit of rutting damage to me Rich
    Only if it actually plays a proper part in the rut and not gets kicked from pillar to post
    Who then settles with a lonely yearling doe that knows no better
    Thoughts Simon...lol