Murder buck

Peri

I got this murder buck at last light on Monday. I had spotted him a couple of times in the doe season. He would come come out of the wood and feed in a new plantation following a very similar route. On Monday there was no action in the area that I was stalking, so at last light I moved to where I thought he might be. Sure enough he has out. I crept through the bushes towards him and I think we saw me, but was not sure what I was and started moving even closer. I had to shoot him at a slight angle as he was becoming nervous and was just about to make a run for it. The bullet entered through the chest, hit the lungs and exited behind the other shoulder. Interestingly the buck showed little reaction to the shot. It run for about 50m and collapsed dead.

The owner of the land was over the moon I took the buck, that he gave me a free stalk. Also I got a good price for the venison and an unusual head for my wall...what a result!!!

Cheers,
Pei

Attachments

• Image0376.jpg
    Image0376.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 483
Good result Peri!! Always good to grass a murder buck. How are those RWS rounds working for you?

ATB

Rob
243Sako

So how did you know or come to the conclusion it was a murder buck???
Stone,

I was under the impression that bucks with no tines are called murder bucks, because their antlers don't interlock with the antlers of another buck. As a result they can easily spear and kill other bucks. Have I got that wrong>

Cheers,
Peri

U
So how did you know or come to the conclusion it was a murder buck???

I could be wrong but I think it's the antlers that give them the name rather than actually killing other bucks. I shot one a fews weeks ago but smaller.

Well done Peri but every buck i get now adays is murder to stalk murder to carry off and murder to larder. Murder bucks every were. :oops:

Stone,

I was under the impression that bucks with no tines are called murder bucks, because their antlers don't interlock with the antlers of another buck. As a result they can easily spear and kill other bucks. Have I got that wrong>

Cheers
Peri

So is a good spiker a murder buck??
Or an old buck going back also a murder buck??

These are things we really need to take into perspective when choosing a buck to cull and then refrain it to a murder buck
At this time of the year no one can call a buck on how it reacts in how it defends it's territory unless they see it in action
Most murder bucks learn that stabbing at the side or chest area of an opposing buck can they disable it easily
Murder bucks don't fight fair
The fact it's antler configuration is possible of inflicting such damage is not a measure to be condemned for with out real reason

It looks as though it might do a bit of rutting damage to me Rich
Only if it actually plays a proper part in the rut and not gets kicked from pillar to post
Who then settles with a lonely yearling doe that knows no better
Thoughts Simon...lol

Stone,

Cheers,
Peri

spot on, and yes, they 'do' kill other bucks, same reason you cull stag spiker and switch tops

spot on, and yes, they 'do' kill other bucks, same reason you cull stag spiker and switch tops
Really
Do they kill or is this here say
Why is the real reason why you cull spikers and switch stags
Or is that poor spikers and switch stags that don't meet breeding standards
The idea to cull deer is either to reduce numbers/damage
Or to retain or improve the quality of the herd
Or hav I got it wrong

IMHO, culling is to meet a number of criteria, remove the old, weak, injured, non-breeding, poor condition, buttons, knobbers, spikers, but the spikers/murderers/switch tops/etc. are dangerous to the very good quality bucks/stags, in that if they fight, they can easily stab the other deer as the antlers don't interlock during the fight. I don't know if you've ever seen stags fight, but they really go at it and you can hear the antlers clattering against each other from hundreds of yards away, flood streaming from their mouths, etc.

IMHO, culling is to meet a number of criteria, remove the old, weak, injured, non-breeding, poor condition, buttons, knobbers, spikers, but the spikers/murderers/switch tops/etc. are dangerous to the very good quality bucks/stags, in that if they fight, they can easily stab the other deer as the antlers don't interlock during the fight. I don't know if you've ever seen stags fight, but they really go at it and you can hear the antlers clattering against each other from hundreds of yards away, flood streaming from their mouths, etc.
do buttons/knobbers/spikers switchtops ect not turn into nice big bucks/stags with time? i know not all but given time?,
wayne

Can't see the issue myself... the buck pictured isn't going to turn into a better head given time, you don't want him injuring better bucks nor do you want genes with a predisposition to end up with heads like that being spread further, hence a good cull animal, surely?

so IF you shoot ALL Red.Sika SPIKER'S and Fallow pricket's where would ANY Mature Stag's or Buck's come from !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry i wasnt clear in my post i wasnt refaring to original poster as i would have done the same but re pkls post every button buck/ knobber/ spiker ,atb wayne

Can't see the issue myself... the buck pictured isn't going to turn into a better head given time, you don't want him injuring better bucks nor do you want genes with a predisposition to end up with heads like that being spread further, hence a good cull animal, surely?

+1000

Murder bucks are certainly ones without tines. To y mind this doesnt really apply to yearlings or knobbers as they dont have the length to clear a mature animals antlers before their head "grounds out". It is animals with long spikes that are dangerous as the spikes can penetrate anothers skull before their head is rebuffed by the others antlers.

As regards switches it is my understanding that they do not make good heads ever and that is why they are taken. I think murder animals other than roe are quite unusual?!?!? I have never heard the expression murder stag?????????? (someone please correct me)

Rich, are you suggesting that murder bucks are sneaky ninja style bucks that are a bit sociopathic and dont fight fair??????? I have seen all bucks jab at the sides and rear of a competitive animal, usually when it tries to run. The long spiked ones are classed as murder because they can kill an opponent in a fair fight

Any Roebuck without a good 6 point head is high on my cull list, we have plenty enough yearlings with strong 6 point heads that we can afford to take out anything with less. Here is an old, and very grumpy buck from last year that stood in the cover barking at us and was very territorial, a perfect cull beast.

Image0161 by mj robson, on Flickr

Back