Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern takedown rifles

Modern takedown rifles

I don't see any other threads on this topic, so forgive me if this has been done before. Are there any other currently manufactured takedown rifles apart from the Sauer 202 Takedown? I've also seen a customised Blaser R93 I think that could be taken apart in that way. There are plenty of switch-barrel models, but I don't see any of the single-calibre takedown rifles that used to be manufactured that can be assembled and disassembled without tools. If there are none out there, apart from at the super-expensive custom end of the market, is it even possible to turn a standard bolt-action rifle into a takedown, which would presumably involve a new barrel? Or do these things have to have a specific type of action?

Grateful for any insights into this.

Perhaps you are looking in the wrong place Pine Marten. Single barrel Kipplauf rifles are very popular in Europe and many shotgun manufacturers make these along with double barrel express rifles, some are very resonable in price. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much of a market for such rifles in the U.K. as we are all fixated with bolt action rifles. Of course there are also several switch barrel rifles which could also be regarded as take down rifles like you say the Sauer being one of them, but most of these tend to be at the top end of the market such as the Merkel and Manlicher.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I don't see any other threads on this topic, so forgive me if this has been done before. Are there any other currently manufactured takedown rifles apart from the Sauer 202 Takedown? I've also seen a customised Blaser R93 I think that could be taken apart in that way. There are plenty of switch-barrel models, but I don't see any of the single-calibre takedown rifles that used to be manufactured that can be assembled and disassembled without tools. If there are none out there, apart from at the super-expensive custom end of the market, is it even possible to turn a standard bolt-action rifle into a takedown, which would presumably involve a new barrel? Or do these things have to have a specific type of action?

Grateful for any insights into this.
    When you say tool less... I would count my Blaser R8 as a takedown rifle... of you need 1 hex key to do it but that's all.. not exactly a tool box. That hex key and 2 bolts and the whole thing comes apart, (even the scope can come off) in under 30 seconds and can be reassembled in as little time and return to zero... The Mauser M03 is similar..

Or... are you talking about the single shot (or sometimes doubles or even combinations) that assemble and disassemble like a shotgun?

What are you actually looking for, something like the man from U.N.C.L.E. gun that comes in a brief case? Most of those that I have seen in films are either based on a broomhandle mauser or the M1 carbine. Like Viper says there are quite a few decent bolt action rifles that can be reduced in size for travelling using the minimal of tools in a very short space of time. Myself I like break action shotgun type rifles for convenience of travelling and for reasons of security when travelling.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

You're right, Kipplauf rifles do the business and are often very pretty things. I wasn't thinking of military-inspired rifles, this is more the sort of thing I had in mind: Takedown

Too expensive and probably not the best stalking set up but it does pack down neat and tidy - Nemesis vanquish .308.

Attachment 15816

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyeopen View Post
    Too expensive and probably not the best stalking set up but it does pack down neat and tidy - Nemesis vanquish .308.

Attachment 15816
    That certainly appeals on one level

Ah, Pine Martin, if i had waited a few seconds more....... HS precision used to list a sporter take down but it had a synthetic stock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blaser 1 025.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	425.3 KB 
ID:	15817 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blaser 003.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	246.5 KB 
ID:	15818
    Does this K95 qualify as a 'Takedown' rifle? Comes apart just like a shotgun..no tools at all, and the scope rail is QD holding it's zero every time.
    For me, it's the perfect Kipplaufbusch. Lightweight & very accurate. Definitely NOT military. Cheers.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Well not exactly what I had in mind, but yes, I'd settle for one of those!