Thread: Gps

Gps

Can anyone recommend the best deal out there for a GPS to use whilst stalking?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post

thanks
    Do you have an iPhone? If so just get the Memory Map Free app. You can then activate 1:25000 OS maps foar the areas you require. The GPS lock up time on my 4s is incredible, even in dense forest. wasn't too shabby on the 4 either. Why spend (a lot of) money on a stand alone box (and something else to carry!) when you have all that power in your pocket. Just get a decent case for it.

If you don't have an iPhone (I'm sure you can get it on Android too!) then if you like OS maps, get a Satmap (this is what I had before I ditched for my iPhone) If not look at any of the Garmin range, depending on budget, the Oregon or Montana would be good choices.

Remember too... never rely on technology to keep you safe or get you out of trouble. Nothing can replace sound compass and map reading skills...... and always carry a compass and a map of the area you are in

thanks
    you want it to map? or just point the way home? if the latter then how about this deal? they even through in the scope as well.......or is it the other way around ?
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Using my phone is out of the question, I'm reliably informed by my daughter that it is a "Nokia banger".

That looks like quite a deal Kenny, but I should have said, that I'd like it to have mapping. The only one i've seen in the flesh was an etrex 20 but it didn't feel that robust.

thanks
    I use a Bushnell backtrack. It can mark 3 locations. I use one for the larder, 2 for the car and 3 to mark the place where I shot the deer. Size of a stopwatch and not dependant on telephone reception.

I use a Garmin E-Trex on my motorcycle. Works great. Amazingly accurate and holds 99 way points I think.~Muir

I have a garmin etrex. no map but yet you can store tracks ad routes you had previously done as well as lots of waypoints. Second hand on ebay now for 35 or new for 80 ish.

no amount of gps helps if you are kidnapped in the highlands by 4 helpfull old people,

It is a long time since I've bought a GPS but...

GPS are, or certainly used to be, "fashion" items and so it was best to wait until someone like Garmin released a new model and then buy the old model. I got a Garmin 60CS (I think) which does mapping for not a lot of money by doing that and then bought the UK mapping. So, it might be worth browsing around on the internet for "old model" GPS units at significant savings over the latest stuff that probably doesn't offer you and advantages over the old model anyhow.

I live, or at least work, in Northern Ireland for which mapping is not available (don't get me started) but do a lot of my walking in the Outer Hebrides and it must be said that I find the mapping of the GPS to be really useful, especially when walking to lochs for trout as it is nice to see your progress and your route for the day.

Another thing which I found useful was that a company called Aqua3 sell OS maps which are coated in a sort of very thin laminate. This makes them waterproof and very robust so they don't fall apart the first time you take them out on a damp day. It also means that you can write on them with a permanent marker and then wipe it off with some solvent. Aqua3 will sell you a map centred on any point, so if the area you stalk crosses 3 sheets or similar you can create a single sheet with your stalking right in the centre. For me I find this well worth the money.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    no amount of gps helps if you are kidnapped in the highlands by 4 helpfull old people,
    Sounds like a whole different thread......... possibly for a different forum!!!!!!!!!!