Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal ammunition

Federal ammunition

Good morning all,

I managed to get down to my last few rounds last week. So bulk ordered a couple of hundred federal 150 grain soft points, as they are one of the only rounds my rifle likes...

To my surprise, they are not grouping very well at all and after comparing the heads. They seem to be more refined. I used to be able to achieve some very tight groupings with the cobination of these rounds/rifle. Has any one else noticed a difference in the heads they are using in this ammo now?

Cheers, Dan

I was never happy with the groups I got from Federal, seemed like one box was ok and another not so good.

I switched over to Sako 130 grain hollow point boat tails for my .270 and never looked back. They also produce the best .22 centerfire factory ammo I've ever used, by a long way

Hate Federal. Might as well use a catapult.

I have never liked Federals
    in .270 or .243
    I found the .270 130gr were very damaging on the red deer we shot. Messy entry and exit.
    Not particularly consistent POI either

Quote Originally Posted by dan85 View Post
    Good morning all,

I managed to get down to my last few rounds last week. So bulk ordered a couple of hundred federal 150 grain soft points, as they are one of the only rounds my rifle likes...

To my surprise, they are not grouping very well at all and after comparing the heads. They seem to be more refined. I used to be able to achieve some very tight groupings with the cobination of these rounds/rifle. Has any one else noticed a difference in the heads they are using in this ammo now?

Cheers, Dan
    If you have access to reloading gear then may I suggest you seat the bullet a bit deeper to beak it's hold on the case neck then pull the bullet out quite ways and re-seat to a suitable depth for your rifle. I have enven had to do this but I have heard of others doing so and gettign excellent results.

There has been recent post about the components in Federal.

Go through 308 150grn Fed by the bucket on various courses. Noticed some variation in the tip configuration - previously tended to be much flatter in appearance. Concerned at first, but continuing to shoot well in my Sako 75.

I made a point ( no pun ) of using .30 comparator to check against the previous batch and didnt find any difference. But thats purely down to the batch in front of me.

If previously shot well, Brithunter likely on the right track and could be a variation in the length to the point on the ogive that engages the rifling. Annoying, but if you have a large batch, a tweak maybe worthwhile.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

i use federal 100gr in my .243, its my first rifle iv owned and took it out to zero yesterday. put 2 shots 1 inch high, both touching at 100 yards...

Although I now reload in the past I have always had good results with Federal ammunition. If a problem has developed do double check tightness of the scope, mounts & barrel of your rifle atb Tim

My 7mm08 always liked Federals in 150grain, the deer never did

Hi Dan,
    Interesting; not the most expensive rounds, but I think they may suffer from inconsistency.
    Please note that this is based on only 2 pre-stalk ranging sessions, each of 20 rnds from a Sako 75 .308:
    3 weeks ago whilst checking grouping at 175m (for idle curiosity) I was getting an MPI 7.5" below the POA (it's zeroed at 100m), when the published data is nearer 3.2"; (the group was just over the 2" spread you might expect from the rifle).
    On that basis I was less than impressed with the trajectory; but last night, new box from the same batch, 175m, 3.2" drop as per table, 2" group.

... next stop: e-bay for reloading kit, I think I can do better!