Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subsonic Centrefire reloads.

Subsonic Centrefire reloads.

Anyone else load, utilise subsonic ammo? I've been having a play and have loaded some 308 sub sonic cartridges. Fun, economical and useful tool this time of year.
    An hour spent downwind of an earth on sunny evening will likely prove productive with a quiet 170 grain round.
    I started with 12 grains of red dot and went down to 7 grains under 170 grain hornady flat nose.
    I drilled the primer pocket out with a 4mm drill and use magnum federal primer. Its powerful and quiet and after put a dozen clicks on the elevation will put three rounds on a postage stamp at 50 yards and through a 5" lump of wood behind and its near as quiet as moderated .22. awesome.

Sounds like a useful load, have you had many richochets?
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

2 posts and both highlight my experience.

First, quiet
    Second, using hpbt most rounds did richochet/bounce.
    I used RUAG Swiss P HPBT btw

Yes it was an interesting experiment but it didn't result in me adding sub 308 to my list of "must use ammo" however thanks to the opening post I will experiment some more.

Quote Originally Posted by shortshot View Post
    Anyone else load, utilise subsonic ammo? I've been having a play and have loaded some 308 sub sonic cartridges. Fun, economical and useful tool this time of year.
    An hour spent downwind of an earth on sunny evening will likely prove productive with a quiet 170 grain round.
    I started with 12 grains of red dot and went down to 7 grains under 170 grain hornady flat nose.
    I drilled the primer pocket out with a 4mm drill and use magnum federal primer. Its powerful and quiet and after put a dozen clicks on the elevation will put three rounds on a postage stamp at 50 yards and through a 5" lump of wood behind and its near as quiet as moderated .22. awesome.
    What was is the twist rate of your rifle? And have you chronographed the loads?~Muir

Shooting these out of Rem. 700 with a 18" long barrel and T8 moderator. The twist looks like 1 in 10" the bullets are designed for shooting in 30 30 they have cannular but I opted too seat just short of cannnular (after the bullets drove me mad by keep dropping into case and having too be retrieved with pliers) and the loaded oal is 2.57 so there is a fair jump into rifling.
    I haven't speed tested this load as my chrono is stuffed. I just read round the subject for couple of evenings on internet made a few notes on back of envelope rang up local gunshop and asked him what shotgun powder he had?
    One of my notes says don't go any lower than 6 grains of red dot. Another says work down not up. Another says use chrono! Another says heavier flat base bullet good. Another ensure loaded round has bit of jump. Another says bullet won't expand at low impact speeds.Another says check for bullet stability/ keyholing without moderator on first. Magnum primers and drilled flash hole.
    The most important one says make sure each bullet exits the barrel!!!

I took some commercial SAKO sub sonic .308 cartridges apart once, I'm a bit like that, if anything comes apart I want to do it to see how it's made. It works out quite expensive sometimes !!
    Anyway, I digress.
    The cartridges I took apart had 6gns of fine powder inside, no idea what sort.
    The bullet was a full metal jacket, boat tail and weighed 180grns.
    The primer/flash hole didn't appear to be any different from the usual size.
    Fired from my rifle, zeroed at 100yards with normal ammo, they dropped about two feet and bounced all over the place.

Short shot, you must have been on the Finnish site then! Try shooting the bullets out of the case base first, effectively a big metplat and therefore big impact.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Short shot, you must have been on the Finnish site then! Try shooting the bullets out of the case base first, effectively a big metplat and therefore big impact.

Bob
    apparently ww1 snipers used to reverse the bullet to fire base first so it would penetrate the steel plate that enemy snipers were hide behind

Established Poster
    This what you need for sub loads .308 200 grain 8.5 grains of Train Boss 1047fps in a .308 win
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MP 31-200E.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	15937
    Or if you are serious about sub sonic loads, .338 314 grains 13.5 grains 2400 1060fps in a .338 Federal
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AM .338  314.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	15938
    Accuracy is 3/4" groups at 50 meters just about to started testing at 100 metres, not much point in trying farther
    they drop to much, most of the shooting is in the bush at less than 100 metres,
    Robert.

Probably an obvious point for most but for those who don't know - Subsonic ammo is not going to be deer legal in the UK !

Would love to have a play with subsonics though. What is the availability in factory .308? Is it expensive?