Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Rifle in 25-06

What Rifle in 25-06

I have just got a variation for 25-06 and wish to use Winchester 115gr Ballistic Silvertip rounds can anyone recommend makes and models of rifles that these worked well with?
    Many thanks, Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Nomis View Post
    I have just got a variation for 25-06 and wish to use Winchester 115gr Ballistic Silvertip rounds can anyone recommend makes and models of rifles that these worked well with?
    Many thanks, Simon
    This is a pretty silly way of looking at things. Even if someone else has had good results with the Winchesters in their rifle, this by no means says they will shoot in the rifle you buy, even if you bought the exact same rifle built on the same day.

Look around for a rifle, then worry about ammo.

im hoping to get my variation back in the next couple of weeks for a 25-06. i found in my price range a tikka t3 was best for me.
    i went to the gun shop and had a look at a couple of rifles. there doesn't seem many company making 25-06 off the shelf?
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by danpd View Post
    This is a pretty silly way of looking at things. Even if someone else has had good results with the Winchesters in their rifle, this by no means says they will shoot in the rifle you buy, even if you bought the exact same rifle built on the same day.

Look around for a rifle, then worry about ammo.

+1 Buy a GOOD rifle

ATB Stev

Quote Originally Posted by MGD View Post
    im hoping to get my variation back in the next couple of weeks for a 25-06. i found in my price range a tikka t3 was best for me.
    i went to the gun shop and had a look at a couple of rifles. there doesn't seem many company making 25-06 off the shelf?
    matt
    Somehow I think what you mean is that the useless British importers do not list nor carry this chambering. I don't see it falling out of favour in the US despite the fad for must have short actions and cartridges .

Of course getting a rifle in .25 cal and chambered for 25-06 should not be difficult. One has only to find an old 270 or 30-06 and have a nice shiney new .25 cal barrel fitted then chambered in 25-06. Seeing as how 270 seems so out of favour still in lots of parts of the UK this should not be too difficult and Armalon can fit a nice hammer forged barrel for under £500 which is a lot cheaper than some will charge.

A donor rifle can be had off a site like gunbroker for between £125-£400 easily. There are various makes listed in that price bracket. Of course one could probably pick up one at the auctions a lot cheaper still.

That's a bit like putting the cart before the horse...ammo! - then what rifle may shoot it.
    Many .25-06 are barrelled with a 1 in 10 twist, a rate that in this (.257) calibre isn't great with bullets over 100gn.
    So, you maybe need a barrel with 1 in 9 twist or perhaps a touch tighter, - but 1 in 9 should stabilise the heavier bullet better.
    Even so, buy the rifle, then, as said in a previous post, worry about the ammo.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

If it helps, I use 115 gr CBT's in my Sako 75 exclusively and they work extremely well but so they should as the Sako is also a very good rifle!
    Any good rifle should send them in the right direction, its the powder choice and amount which will create the greatest variable.
    Great bullet head choice though! Just make sure you get a decent rifle.
    MS

i used to have a sako 75 in 25/06 1in 10 twist used to shoot 117gr sst really well,
    now have a 257 roberts ai 1 in 10twist shoots 115gr bergars well.
    but there are a lot of variables ie bullets powder .etc

I use a Tikka T3 s/s in .25-06 with homeloads, 117gr Hornady sst. Very happy with them. Its seems to shoot a lot factory stuff well including the Federal Powershock/vitalshock.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomis View Post
    Many thanks, Simon
    Nomis - In order to get the best out of your 25-06 you need a 24"-26" barrel to stabilise the heavier bullets & achieve a reasonable group.
    There are some rifle exceptions, but as a general rule the 25-06 really wants a langer barrel.

Bearing this in mind it restricts your choices of manufacturers somewhat as alot only offer short length versions.

Ive seen a few people buy carbine versions of this calibre & they couldnt hit an elephant in the arse at 10yards with it... then again there are those lucky guys out there that have 19"-20" guns that shoot like a dream.

If you dont want to take the risk & buy twice then look at Sako, Tikka & Remington. They all offer long barrelled versions.

PS - I have a factory standard Remington 700 XCRII in 25-06 & i can get 1" groups using 115gr ballistic silvertips @ 100yards, the bullets are factory ammo not home loaded.

DA
    Last edited by Deer Assassin; 27-05-2012 at 21:02.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... it's just that yours is stupid!!