Thread: Question about Leupold Scope

Question about Leupold Scope

Hi all
    I have just noticed this item advertised on ebay and I was quite surprised by the main photograph attached to it.
    LEUPOLD VX-L RIFLE SCOPE | eBay
    It appears as if the front of the scope is bent to allow it to be mounted close to the rifle barrel
    Am I correct in assuming this is the case and is it a good scope to consider for vermin/target shooting with a .223 or a .243 ?
    Thanks
    Ed

Good scopes for the money & fairly robust.

Ideal for vermin & target shooting.

DA
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... it's just that yours is stupid!!

There have been a lot of fake Leupold scopes on ebay so be very careful, not that I'm saying this one is fake but just that you'd need to be sure.

The Americans are fairly keen on having scopes mounted as low as possible and so the manufacturers are more than willing to cater for this market, hence the notch in the bottom of the scope to enable lower mounting.

One thing it might be worth pointing out is that this sort of money would get you a good second hand Euro scope. In fact a new hungarian 8X56 S&B would cost you about 60 more than this Leupold. I'm certainly not saying that there is anything wrong with Leupold, just that a reliable supplier (Macleods of Tain get a very good name on here) could probably kit you out with a second hand scope that while it might lack some of the "features" of the Leupold would have top notch glass that would leave you never needing another scope in a lifetime, plus you could probably sell it for more than you paid for it after a few years.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    There have been a lot of fake Leupold scopes on ebay so be very careful, not that I'm saying this one is fake but just that you'd need to be sure.

The Americans are fairly keen on having scopes mounted as low as possible and so the manufacturers are more than willing to cater for this market, hence the notch in the bottom of the scope to enable lower mounting.

One thing it might be worth pointing out is that this sort of money would get you a good second hand Euro scope. In fact a new hungarian 8X56 S&B would cost you about 60 more than this Leupold. I'm certainly not saying that there is anything wrong with Leupold, just that a reliable supplier (Macleods of Tain get a very good name on here) could probably kit you out with a second hand scope that while it might lack some of the "features" of the Leupold would have top notch glass that would leave you never needing another scope in a lifetime, plus you could probably sell it for more than you paid for it after a few years.
    Whilst I obviously cannot comment if it is a fake I find the Leupold Gold Ring equal to Swarovski and Zeiss (I have all 3) for normally less than half the price.

It might be worth your while to look at eBay.com. Normally these scopes are cheaper in the USA even if you include transport.

I have one on my SPS 700. Its superb. It sits right down over the barrel and is very robust. Now I will wait for the incoming but its as good as the other top brands that I had a look at and through when I bought it. But that's only MO. Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

Thank you all for the info.
    It looks like what I really need is a book entitled 'The Dummies Guide to Telescopic Sights' - or something similar!
    Seriously - Thanks again
    Cheers
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Edchef View Post
    Thank you all for the info.
    It looks like what I really need is a book entitled 'The Dummies Guide to Telescopic Sights' - or something similar!
    Seriously - Thanks again
    Cheers
    Ed
    Try : Optics for the Hunter by John Barsness. You can get it at Amazon

I can't fault mine just added the aluminium flip covers wish I'd brought them before breaking three lots of butler creeks.