Thread: Two different groups of Roe.

Two different groups of Roe.

I was out with the dog this afternoon, i had the binos with me and having a quiet mooch. I spied four Roe deer grazing in the middle of a field, they were about 500 yards away. I had been watching these for about five minutes when another group of four appearred through some trees on the left. For a while both groups carried on grazing but slowly getting closer to each other.
    When they were about thirty yards apart one deer from one group jumped the ditch and one deer from the other group walked towards it, they nosed each other for a few seconds and parted.
    One jumped back over the ditch to join their group, the other rejoined their group and the two lots went seperate directions.
    What went on in the thirty seconds of rubbing noses?
    basil.

i think the Eskimos might be able to tell you more

Up until now family groups have consisted of the 'Mother' and, normally in healthy roe, two at least of her offspring.
    As the feotus starts to grow rather large in the 'mother' which was covered in the last rut, she will start wandering off and trying to alienate herself from her kids, a bit like humans when the teenagers grow up and are told to move out and stand on their own two feet! but in this case it is the 'mother' that wanders off.
    So you can get groups of 'teenagers' with no parental guidance that start to investigate the area on their own and when they see another group, which 'mother' would have previously kept them away from, wander over to see whats what!!
    At the moment the family groups will be as born, ie can be 'brother and sister' but as the year progresses they will then start to split into groups of the same sex and you will see groups of young bucks pushing and shoving each other, just like teenagers!! until one becomes prominent and by that time the rut will be near and the dominant buck will try and take over a group of 'girls' and so it goes on!!!!

Deer

Sounds like you could do with culling a few.

Dave

Re: Deer

Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave

Dave
    I hadn`t seen this many deer in that area for a while, it`s a place where deer are easily poached.
    Unfortunately, they were on land where the owner won`t have them shot but they tend to move over to my permission once the wheat is high enough to hide in.
    I`ve been watching the Salt licks thread for a while and may try some mollasses to tempt them over early.
    basil.

Re: Deer

Quote Originally Posted by basil
    Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave

Dave
    I hadn`t seen this many deer in that area for a while, it`s a place where deer are easily poached.
    Unfortunately, they were on land where the owner won`t have them shot but they tend to move over to my permission once the wheat is high enough to hide in.
    I`ve been watching the Salt licks thread for a while and may try some mollasses to tempt them over early.
    basil.
    That's a good set up - he protects them and you get to cull them and ahve the benefit of a lot more land. If he had shooters you'd probably have a lot fewer deer.