YDS Gralloch. (slowed down for the camera).

www.yorkshireroestalking.

Distinguished Member
Due to a thread on here I filmed a gralloch last night while I left the client in the box to wait for another buck.
The camera was mounted on my bag and i found it a little awkward to gralloch and keep my arms and hands as well as the deer feet out of the important bits. Anyway its not bad. A quick edit for captions and its done in under 5 minutes, which is slowed down for me. A complete removal of everything and ready to bag and PM the gralloch.
As my "disclaimer" states please do not pull me up about the knife on the floor as i am well aware. I just found a spare few minutes in good light to film myself.
I might do another under better conditions soon.
Regards john YDS.
hope some of you can learn something from this many of my clients are greatly impressed.

i must say when you watch him do it without the camera it is a work of art the speed and ease at which he works is quite something , it will take me a while before i can do half as good a job. i certainly have got alot better with practice and having the right knife is a key to an easy gralloch. keep the vids coming john they are really good , wayne

Great John not what i would call a field gralloch but hey hats off to you for putting it up.

Right Robson wear do I start??? Call that a Gralloch :rofl:

Only joking mate well done! I still have that video of the First Muntjac you shot with me... Watched it time and time again till i got it right, Glad you put one up mate very neat job done.

Only thing you missed out was your lady next to you didn't get the kidneys?? or did she!!! :D

Very good but think mike at jelen did a much neater job without the need of zip ties and much better comentry , my thought's only.

Mark.

Thanks digger was just about to do that.:cool:

No worries mate.

With respect to Johns gralloch, the way he was doing it for film was not how he'd normally go about it. Plus he had a client up in a seat so didn't really have the time for a comentary.

Roe are a bit trickier around the arse end compared to Fallow, mainly because they lack the extended tail to hold onto, but also because they're smaller. John also removed Everything, not just the green offal. His is more the way I'd do it, except that i do suspended grallochs wherever possible. Mike did a text book field gralloch with minimal cuts to prevent contamination and would have done the rest back in the larder.

Both vids are great demonstrations of not only how to gralloch a deer 2 different ways, but also of how we all do things a bit differently:thumb:

Great video John, well done mate.

It's good to now that newcomers to the sport - and some more experienced guys - can gain some good tips and new techniques to make their life easier (or more easier).

Regards,

i think diggers has it spot on both are different and its good to see as everyone has a variation . with mikes gralloch if it was chest shot would you do a full gralloch like johns to drain the carcass or would you still leave heart lung still in,atb wayne

To all you old hands this might mean nothing or at least let you know how quick you could do it but to me it was brilliant.
I have never been deer stalking it is one of my lifes dreams and i joined this website to learn about the quarry i will hopefully one day be able to go against.
I never really new what a gralloch was ive shot birds (pheasants, pigeons) for a few years but i am completely self taught when it comes to dressing them (no one in my family has ever shot before) and they always taste good and i hate to waste meat as well i taught myself to gut and skin rabbits after someone in the pub told me how to do it.
I won't say now i know how to
gralloch but i will say now i know what a gralloch is. thanks

Back