Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: Another condition question

  1. #1

    Another condition question

    Hi,

    I recently was granted a slot for .375. I will be using it abroad and have not asked that I be able to use it in the UK, so I have the predictable restriction on ammunition, i.e. non-expanding only - and I'm sure we're all much safer as a result.

    However, the relevant condition reads:

    "The .375 Rifle and ammunition shall be carried when proceeding or returning from a port of embarkation and may be zeroed with non-expanding ammunition in Grean Britain on ranges suitable... etc etc".

    I have written to say that as I read it, I would be in breach of this condition while I drove the rifle home from the RFD or to or from the range where I zero. Clearly it envisages that you can take it to a suitable range. Is the first part meant to be read as permissive rather than an exclusive condition, i.e. "you can carry it to the airport", rather than, "you can only carry it to an airport". Either way it seems to be legal drafting that a first year trainee lawyer would come up with.

    Thanks for any help offered.

  2. #2
    The conditions on my certificate are even better than that, for a 9.3x62 that I'm yet to purchase, the conditioning reads -

    the 9.3x62 rifle and ammunition shall be carried when proceeding to or returning from a port of embarkation and may be zeroed using non expanding ammunition in great britain on ranges suitable for the safe use of that class of firearm and with adequate financial arrangements in place to meet any injury or damage claim.


    Ive never questioned it nor chanllenged it as I'm yet to purchase the rifle, but who's to say what limit there is to 'adequate financial arrangements'? Just another couple of examples of the happhazard way in which some conditions are written

    tom
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

  3. #3
    I have the same condition
    But to be honest
    They hav given you permission to use it on a range for zeroing
    Do you also want them to put it on your conditions that you can hav it in your possession so you can take it to such a range
    C'mon grow up a little
    They put in port of embarkation so you don't decided to use it else where , where you are not conditioned to

  4. #4
    I have a 9.3x62 with the same conditions. You can take the rifle anywhere you deem suitable and zero with solids. You can still purchase expanding ammo in the U.K. but cant use it until you go abroad. If you have the normal type BASC/CA insrance then your covered financially

  5. #5
    Lads what is the point with zeroing or being allowed to zero with solids in the UK? Will you be then shooting targets abroad or animals with a well zeroed rifle?

  6. #6
    I had exactly the same condition in principal until I'd be abroad but you need to ask for the condition to be altered slightly in that you 'need to be able to go through the proper process of load development and testing prior to embarkation with the type of ammunition intended for use on game to ensure consistency' This is simply because ammunition in 375 is simply not available at many destinations and the shipping of ammunition to your destination is not practicable and no RFD will go through the process of arranging that for you because the paperwork can be a nightmare..

    I couldn't get ammo organised for Bulgaria which was my first trip but luckily a guy on the trip was able to lend me some or I'd have ended up with a borrowed gun.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by .25-06 View Post
    Lads what is the point with zeroing or being allowed to zero with solids in the UK? Will you be then shooting targets abroad or animals with a well zeroed rifle?
    I tried to make that point..

    Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    I had exactly the same condition in principal until I'd be abroad but you need to ask for the condition to be altered slightly in that you 'need to be able to go through the proper process of load development and testing prior to embarkation with the type of ammunition intended for use on game to ensure consistency' This is simply because ammunition in 375 is simply not available at many destinations and the shipping of ammunition to your destination is not practicable and no RFD will go through the process of arranging that for you because the paperwork can be a nightmare..

    I couldn't get ammo organised for Bulgaria which was my first trip but luckily a guy on the trip was able to lend me some or I'd have ended up with a borrowed gun.
    ..and this one too, almost verbatim (great minds etc!). Entirely reasonable I thought.

    Quote Originally Posted by ian67 View Post
    I have a 9.3x62 with the same conditions. You can take the rifle anywhere you deem suitable and zero with solids. You can still purchase expanding ammo in the U.K. but cant use it until you go abroad. If you have the normal type BASC/CA insrance then your covered financially
    No, I can't buy expanding ammo for the UK at all unfortunately. I can have 200 solids to zero with, but not one of the bullets that I want to use for the rifle's intended purpose. I have just been quoted the Sect 9 of the 1997 Act and Home Office "guidance". They are helpfully suggesting though that expanding ammo would be allowed if I wanted to use it on the larger deer species in Britain.

    I guess I should grow up a bit, regards "shall be carried when proceeding or returning". Its just that breach of these conditions could, in theory, have consequences and I can't believe its beyond the wit of people who draft them every day top come up with language that is unambiguous.

    Thanks all!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by theshootist View Post
    I have just been quoted the Sect 9 of the 1997 Act and Home Office "guidance". They are helpfully suggesting though that expanding ammo would be allowed if I wanted to use it on the larger deer species in Britain.
    Wouldn't that be an end to your problems? Just put in for the rifle to be conditioned for deer in the UK as per 13.35 of the HO Guidance:


    Some rifles intended for
    antelope and other Plains Game may also
    be suitable for deer, boar or other quarry
    shooting in this country. Calibres such as
    the .375 (9.5mm) are at the lower end of
    those suitable for shooting “dangerous game”
    but may, once initial “good reason” has been
    established, also be used for shooting the
    larger deer species in Britain. Expanding
    ammunition may also be authorised for an
    applicant whose certificate allows for the rifle
    also to be used for shooting deer in Britain.
    Last edited by Orion; 29-05-2012 at 08:59.

  9. #9
    Get it conditioned for badger culling!!!

    David.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Wouldn't that be an end to your problems? Just put in for the rifle to be conditioned for deer in the UK as per 13.35 of the HO Guidance:


    Some rifles intended for
    antelope and other Plains Game may also
    be suitable for deer, boar or other quarry
    shooting in this country. Calibres such as
    the .375 (9.5mm) are at the lower end of
    those suitable for shooting “dangerous game”
    but may, once initial “good reason” has been
    established, also be used for shooting the
    larger deer species in Britain. Expanding
    ammunition may also be authorised for an
    applicant whose certificate allows for the rifle
    also to be used for shooting deer in Britain.
    Yup probably. I can imagine a long wait for the amendment though..

Similar Threads

  1. open condition
    By Fireman sam in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 20-08-2012, 10:28
  2. I got my FAC variation. Question about condition(s)
    By Psyxologos in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 29-09-2011, 06:59
  3. Mentored Condition Query.
    By chickenman in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 15-02-2011, 22:28
  4. Deer Condition/Numbers
    By dusk till dawn in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-10-2010, 18:39
  5. New F.A.C. condition?
    By finnbear270 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-04-2010, 09:29

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •