Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Variation back !!!!!!!!!!!

Variation back !!!!!!!!!!!

Well 2 weeks ago I had my FEO around to discus my variation for a .270 and to add Deer to my FAC I also asked for Wild boar as the .270 is a boar legal calibre, just in case I fancied some boar shooting. He agreed and off he went saying by the way we have a huge backlog in Kent so don't expect to see your ticket back for at least 6-8 weeks. Then 3 days later he emails me to say that his superiors want evidence of either a booking or a boar shoot. I tried to sway him saying that the rifle is to be granted on the grounds as a deer rifle and im only asking to have a legal quarry for that rifle to be added. Its not as if i was using boar for the grant of the rifle. Anyway they weren't having any of it saying no evidence no boar on ticket. Well blow me down I got in from work this evening to find my ticket has arrived with the .270 for deer and ALQ but no Boar. Still at least now I can get my rifle this week and not have to wait months for it. Still would have liked Boar listed though.

surely ALQ is covering Boar? correct me if I'm wrong, it is a "legal quarry"

I'm South East Kent and had thoughts about adding a .270 to my cabinet.

FEO saw no problems with the calibre but said straight away I would need to provide evidence for the boar. (Already have deer for the other rifles)

It all fell through in the end because the bloke who was taking me on paid boar shooting back peddled as soon as I asked for his landowner to give me a covering letter. (Wonder why?)

is it not the paid stalker that gives you the letter stating you have paid and booked to shoot boar not the land owner.
    stav
    if your going too be dumb you have too be tough

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    surely ALQ is covering Boar? correct me if I'm wrong, it is a "legal quarry"
    Well that's what I thought, but this http://www.britishwildboar.org.uk/shootinglaw.html says otherwise. And this is what my FEO pointed me to when i asked VASC this is what they said

Dear Mr Vale,

Any lawful quarry means anything that may be legally shot under wildlife law save for specific requirements in the deer act and wildlife and countryside act such as shooting deer with a calibre not powerful enough or shooting game birds with semi automatic weapons.

e.g. you may use your centre fire rifles for shooting deer down to rats, rabbits grey squirrel etc.

I hope this helps

Best wishes

MATT PERRING
    Firearms & Explosives Officer

Quote Originally Posted by shaun22/250 View Post
    Well that's what I thought, but this http://www.britishwildboar.org.uk/shootinglaw.html says otherwise. And this is what my FEO pointed me to when i asked VASC this is what they said

Dear Mr Vale,

Any lawful quarry means anything that may be legally shot under wildlife law save for specific requirements in the deer act and wildlife and countryside act such as shooting deer with a calibre not powerful enough or shooting game birds with semi automatic weapons.

e.g. you may use your centre fire rifles for shooting deer down to rats, rabbits grey squirrel etc.

I hope this helps

Best wishes

MATT PERRING
    Firearms & Explosives Officer
    Well, that looks entirely clear to me. AOLQ covers, ahem, ANY OTHER LAWFUL QUARRY.

Is it lawful to shoot a wild boar with a .270? Of course it is. Ergo the AOLQ condition covers you. If it doesn't then the condition is not written in clear English and would be unenforcable.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    Well, that looks entirely clear to me. AOLQ covers, ahem, ANY OTHER LAWFUL QUARRY.

Is it lawful to shoot a wild boar with a .270? Of course it is. Ergo the AOLQ condition covers you. If it doesn't then the condition is not written in clear English and would be unenforcable.
    I'd say the FEO in question should be classified as AOLQ - he's certainly shot himself in the foot there!

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I'd say the FEO in question should be classified as AOLQ - he's certainly shot himself in the foot there!
    Hasn't he just!

I enquired about the need for me to get Wild Boar on my FC and it was pointed out by the head of their department that as I already had AOLQ on my FC there was no need for any other entry.
    We have a fantastic Firearms Department in Wiltshire.

PS I am not looking for browny points either !!

Quote Originally Posted by shaun22/250 View Post
    Well that's what I thought, but this http://www.britishwildboar.org.uk/shootinglaw.html says otherwise. And this is what my FEO pointed me to when i asked
    Well, as the BWBO website also states:

"A certificate to shoot wild boar is only granted for .308 .270 and 30/06 calibre (sic) weapons. Note that solid slug ammunition for use in a 12 bore also has to be on a firearms certificate."

He might want to review his advice.

Call me old fashioned but I think there are a fair few more rifle cartridges - not calibres as stated above - that might be suitable. Also AFAIK there is actually no legal requirement for a minimum calibre for wild boar in the UK that would lead you to be prosecuted should you not comply with it, (unless cruelty issues were also involved).

The blind leading the blind comes to mind.
    Last edited by Orion; 30-05-2012 at 20:36.