Thread: William Mathews

William Mathews

As anybody had any work done by William Mathews Taxidermy?

Never had any work done by him but do know the man a bit and for what it's worth, he's a good guy who stalks himself.

Hi

I have had work done - cleaning/mounting (7 so far) short nose cut Roe skulls (most non-typical/unusual hence my interest) onto shields, and the work has been good.

I know Bill worked for Nico Van Rooyen in SA years ago - my plains game animals were shoulder mounted there late 80s early 90s - good work.

Bill has also done shoulder mounts of Roe and Muntjac for a good friend - look good.

L

Bill worked for Rowland Wards in London for many years as a large mammal taxidermist. Top Quality work !!

One of the best, a man who has forgotten more than most taxidermists ever learn

Thank's guy's, I won the BDS Auction to have some work done by him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Bill worked for Rowland Wards in London for many years as a large mammal taxidermist. Top Quality work !!

One of the best, a man who has forgotten more than most taxidermists ever learn

Really.

Quote Originally Posted by steve109 View Post
    Really.
    A bit of a quick throw away comment perhaps, but Bill worked for Rowland wards at a time when most of their work was still being done on bind ups, These days very few commercial taxidermists use bind ups, as they are too time consuming to make, so most taxidermists use ready bought manakins. You need far more skill to make and mount on an anatomically correct manakin, than mount on a pre-bought manakin.

here is a picture of Rowland Wards workshop in the 1960's and I believe Bill is sat on the far right of the group. few taxidermists these days do the same quantity of large mammal work these days.

http://

Still in my opinion a very talented taxidermist, who has had a long and enviable career working for some of the best taxidermy companies in recent times.
    Last edited by Lakey; 15-06-2012 at 18:58.

And here is a more up to date shot of Bill

http://