Thread: Price of Ammo

Price of Ammo

Haven't purchased any rifle ammo for several months now ( I bought a batch at the beggining of last season). Last box was at c21 a box.

Just looking on the web at a couple of dealers and everything seems to have gone up dramatically.

May well go and get a basic reloading kit and start reloading. Is it cheaper, or do you just end up shooting more?

SD Regular
    It is, initially, a LOT more expensive as reloading equipment bought new isn't cheap. Secondhand it is somewhat less. But you'll need a press and dies plus powder scales. That lot on its own will be about 200.00

The only real advantage to handloading is - if you have a chronograph - that you can make your ammunition how you want it. And, if you do it right, smaller group size.

For example I like in 270 Winchester 140 grain bullets at about 2,800 fps and 155 grain bullets at about 2,700 fps. Neither of these AT THAT VELOCITY is available in factory ammunition.

Plus as my two rifles have relatively "long" barrel at 24" I can get that 2,800 and 2,700 at a lighter load than in the more common 22" barrels that many of the American makers use.

Reloading

Hi Heym SR20

I worked out that the first 250 homeloads cost about the same as 250 factory loads, when you include all the kit. But after that they were 1/3 of the price.

So ultimately worth it - but a big up front investment. And I bet you'd shoot more!

Cheers

Daemon

I bought 20 .270 Remmi at my local shop for 29 last year. Then got a load of Pivi at 45 for 100, to practise with plus loading die set powder etc etc at Kranks, and a friend reloads the cases for me with his press , we recon its now about 30p a shot, with what are now quality home loads.
    The old post office at Moorhall Bakewell are very competative, I will find out their details.
    Tom

With RWS and Norma at over 40 a box in Inverness reloading is a no-brainer for me!

Hillbilly
    Federal in 243 vary between 32 and 42 per box round me if you can get them. Just dropped 300 on reloading gear. From what I have been led to believe the price isn't going to come down any time soon. The supplier of re-loading kit informed me that his sales have rocketed in the last 3 months. Says it all really.

Re: Reloading

Quote Originally Posted by Daemo
    Hi Heym SR20

I worked out that the first 250 homeloads cost about the same as 250 factory loads, when you include all the kit. But after that they were 1/3 of the price.

So ultimately worth it - but a big up front investment. And I bet you'd shoot more!

Cheers

Daemon

It does seem that most stalkers that post regularly are out and about with frequent regularity which obviously means that if you use ammo constantly then reloading is a cheaper option. The man who stalks say 5 or 6 times a year isn`t in the same boat.
    That said, there is no reason why two or three people that live in the same vicinity couldn`t share the cost of a reloading set up, again a saving for all. I`m saving my cases for when i can afford a reloading set up of my own.
    basil.

How do you get to use so much ammunition, I was out about 25 times last year and have shot three deer, so thats three shots and about 30 shoots on the range,
    I would have thought as someone who has a job and has to travel for his stalking thats about par for the majority, I would struggle to justify reloading. though I like the idea of getting a group together with someone who does load
    doc