Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoked roe

Smoked roe

Earlier today I was smoking some salmon and decided to try a piece of Roe saddle.
    As the cut was quite a bit thicker than the salmon I left the meat in saline solution (about normal saline, 0.9%) for 45 minutes before smoking it with oak sawdust used.
    I hot smoked the cut I had (about 1lb as is was only the thin end of the saddle) for 25minutes then allowed it to cool.....its delicious and the rest will be getting the same treatment tomorrow.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Works beautifully with young fallow too. Try a very rare hot smoke (5-10 mins), then wrap tightly in cling film, chill for a bit, then slice thinly and bash out to make smoked venison carpaccio. Serve cold on a platter sprinkled with a few roasted cracked cob or hazel nuts, parmesan shavings and a light drizzle of good olive oil and balsamic if you like. It's gooorgeous!

Right, all this talk of food has made me hungry. Off for a sarny.

That sounds worth a try - I did air dry some a muntjac haunch when I had a stockpile a while back and it was very good, if a bit hard and salty on the outside

this is sounding very tasty... may invest in a smoker

Limulus, Andrea (the boss) has been smoking venison cuts for a while, it is delicious and she uses it for all sorts of recipes and starters. If the leg muscles are separated out of the haunch there are some excellent cuts there that smoke beautifully.

Paul, we bought a Bradley smoker some years ago and what a difference that made, very easy to use with great results every time. They are usually at the fairs demonstrating, that's the ones that haven't been cancelled. They will probably at the midland I would think, that is if you haven't already seen one demonstrated.

Best regards.

Jon.

For guided Roe deer stalking,. BASC accredited trainer for DSC1 and 2. BASC accredited training centre with courses held regularly.
    www.greenleedeer.co.uk

If it's just hot smoking you're interested in doing then one of the ceramic Kamado style units can be used - Kamado Joe, Big Green Egg etc. They also allow you to roast, BBQ, grill and use as a pizza oven, so have the advantage over a dedicated smoker unit if you want the other functions.

No cheap but worth the money if, like us, you use it all the time.

Attachment 18510

And I can attest to the taste of hot smoked venison - roe haunch with a chilli marinade went down well.

" SMOKED ROE"

Tried it could not get them to light

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    " SMOKED ROE"

Tried it could not get them to light

..the alternative word for 'cull' in gangster language

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    If it's just hot smoking you're interested in doing then one of the ceramic Kamado style units can be used - Kamado Joe, Big Green Egg etc. They also allow you to roast, BBQ, grill and use as a pizza oven, so have the advantage over a dedicated smoker unit if you want the other functions.

No cheap but worth the money if, like us, you use it all the time.

Attachment 18510

And I can attest to the taste of hot smoked venison - roe haunch with a chilli marinade went down well.

Orion, which one is that? Looked into getting a Komado but the shipping from the states is hideous!!

It's a Kamado Joe - available from a few UK outlets. I got mine from http://www.hotsmoked.co.uk/index.php as they are only up the road from me and she was willing to cut a bit of a deal and include some accessories. Now also on UK eBay and Amazon from other suppliers.

As I said above, the initial outlay may appear expensive, but I'm not exaggerating when I say we cook on it in one form or another every week, all year round - sometimes all week in the 'summer'. If you factor in how much a decent BBQ might cost and the additional cooking methods available with a Kamado, it starts to make some kind of sense, (at least that's what I keep telling myself!). Restaurant grade charcoal in bulk from my local farm/fuel suppliers feeds the beast and it's very economical in that respect.