Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: who keeps there ammo under the bolt

who keeps there ammo under the bolt

whilst traveling back from a stalk in the motor heading to your digs ?? I will elaberate a bit more later once theres been a few replies,by the way this is in Scotland

Do you mean under the bolt as in the mag or locked and loaded under the bolt?

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Well this is in Wiltshire England and im a Jock

when im moving from one part to another part of the farm/estate i shoot, or when or if i cross a public road i do from time to time use this method to make the rifle a tad more safe,

but if im completely finished shooting then the rifle is cleared of both the magazine ammo and bolt, checked bagged and left out of reach in the rear of the veh until i get home.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    whilst traveling back from a stalk in the motor heading to your digs ?? I will elaberate a bit more later once theres been a few replies,by the way this is in Scotland
    this is definitely a NO.....NO, you should always...........unload both your chamber & magazine, prior to placing it in your case/bag, I haven't researched this yet, but I believe there may an offence committed here, that of carrying a loaded weapon in a public place, yes your vehicle can be classed as a public place in some offences!!, Iam not up on Scottish Law, but I will be very interested in the feed back from the site

On one particular piece of land I keep the rifle loaded on the back seat until I get to the main road, purely because once I spotted a doe whilst driving back along a track, after packing up all my gear. It was the only doe we'd seen all weekend and I couldn't get my rifle out and load it quick enough before it disappeared into the forest. Sod's law I think they call it
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Patrick, I don't think there is a specific offence of carrying a loaded firearm in a public place. If you do find reference to one then I would be interested to hear the reference.

There is an offence under, iirc, the violent crime reduction bill, of carrying a loaded airgun, including having a magazine loaded but separate, but I can't find any reference to a similar offence for FAC firearms.

However, specific offence or not, if you were stopped on the public highway and the weapon still had ammunition in it (whether it was "loaded" in the technical sense or just had a magazine inserted with rounds in it but there were none in the chamber) I can't see you getting a good response from the plod.

If the bullets are not in the chamber then the gun is not loaded. It is however responsible behaviour to unload completely your rifle when traveling to a from your stalking grounds.Or any time your gun is not in your complete control eg in a boot back of a pick up etc. I have many roads on my ground and need to travel under over over to reach different sides for that purpose i will under load and put in a light weight sack

Personally while in the truck on the farm I will quite often keep the magazine loaded but nothing in the chamber but never on the way home once shooting is finished. There simply isn't any reason to its just one step closer to an accident happening even just dropping the magazine out and putting it in your pocket is an improvement. Whatever the legalities its just not a particularly good idea

The rifle is loaded with the mag attached, but not made ready until a round is in the chamber??

Either way, I wouldn't fancy getting stopped on the way home and saying to the police officer "be careful with that, it's loaded"
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox