Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buzzard trapping plan abandoned as government U-turns again

Buzzard trapping plan abandoned as government U-turns again

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...bandoned-uturn

Buzzard trapping plan abandoned as government U-turns again

Defra's controversial scheme to destroy protected species' nests to protect pheasant shoots dropped after public outcry

You hear their call first. A plaintive mew draws the gaze skywards, and there is the unmistakable outline of one of Britain's most striking birds of prey. Often in pairs, they soar upwards in slow circles, riding thermals with a lazy menace that the Defra minister Richard Benyon should perhaps have considered more carefully before earmarking nearly 400,000 for a scheme that would have involved capturing adult birds and destroying their nests. Intended to protect young pheasants being reared for commercial shoots, on Wednesday the plan was shelved. Buzzards are well used to surviving attack. At this time of year their aerial cruises are often disturbed by dive-bombing crows and magpies no mean nursery thieves themselves protecting their nests. Meanwhile, taxpayers await an explanation for being asked to stump up to solve an undefined problem experienced only by the tiny group of people running commercial shoots.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Good I didnt agree with the idea. Pheasants are a pain in the arse, shot by toffs who couldnt hit anything else with a shotgun!!

ATB Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SussexFallow View Post
    Good I didnt agree with the idea. Pheasants are a pain in the arse, shot by toffs who couldnt hit anything else with a shotgun!!ATB Steve
    A quick question for you: if the powers that be decided to make your life as a stalker more difficult, would you appreciate the support of the game shooters, or would you prefer they responded with the same offensive prejudice shown in your post?

[QUOTE=Mr. Gain;385112]A quick question for you: if the powers that be decided to make your life as a stalker more difficult, would you appreciate the support of the game shooters, or would you prefer they responded with the same offensive prejudice shown in your post? +1
    only when the last tree has been felled,the last fish caught and the last river poisoned will man realise he cant eat money

You want to get a grip chap before posting something like that.
    There are a lot of toffs!!!! (your words)that shoot game,that also hold a lot of stalking ground,that you might be stalking on.

My above comments are for Sussex Fallow

There are also a lot of working class men and women who shoot pheasant, including me.
    Sinbad
    Last edited by sinbad; 31-05-2012 at 18:41.
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Quote Originally Posted by SussexFallow View Post
    Good I didnt agree with the idea. Pheasants are a pain in the arse, shot by toffs who couldnt hit anything else with a shotgun!!

ATB Steve
    I hope your tongue is firmly in your cheek. If not you need a good shake mate.

Quote Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
    There are also a lot of working class men and women who shoot pheasant, including me.
    Sinbad
    +1 working class its our sport and we enjoy it maybe he should try it