Thread: Any Leather workers on here interested in this please?

Any Leather workers on here interested in this please?

A friend of mine own a leather processing factory and I asked him for a small offcut of leather to make a strop for finishing my knives off when sharpening. (House is in chaos after a burst pipe and I have put my old one somewhere safe.......)

Anyway "offcut" to him had a different meaning to me and I now have near half a cow side.

It is veg tanned British cow hide approx 48" x 16" / 18" and thick / heavy leather.

On fleabay they are selling finished strops at 12.50 (as an example see item number 380159232808 which is offered at 12.50).

Would anyone on here be able to produce a strop like that example above? I would propose to post the leather to you for free, you return one finished strop to me likewise then sell the rest to a) cover your costs & time plus make a donation to BHF, Lifeboats, H4H or similar - not a bloody cats home. I estimate the leather is sufficient for 20+ strops.

Your thoughts or other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

I'd be interested in this. Now I've not done much leather work, well ok, none actually, but it's something I'd love to learn. Obviously I'd understand if you didn't want a novice to do it as you'll want the best job of work you can get. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    I'd be interested in this. Now I've not done much leather work, well ok, none actually, but it's something I'd love to learn. Obviously I'd understand if you didn't want a novice to do it as you'll want the best job of work you can get. Let me know.
    Best offer so far!

Let's see.

Thanks.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

I would love to get an offcut like that, I have a number of things I want to do

the strop looks fairly straightforward in terms of preparation, cut to size, add heavy Ferule
    I dont like the design on the eBay one.
    Downward pressure on the single central ferrule will curl the strop.
    you want it flat.
    two re-enforcing plates on the back (and or the front would do that and stop any curl.
    A decent shapped bottom tab wouldn't go amiss either! not much work gone into the eBay item IMO

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I would love to get an offcut like that, I have a number of things I want to do

the strop looks fairly straightforward in terms of preparation, cut to size, add heavy Ferule
    I dont like the design on the eBay one.
    Downward pressure on the single central ferrule will curl the strop.
    you want it flat.
    two re-enforcing plates on the back (and or the front would do that and stop any curl.
    A decent shapped bottom tab wouldn't go amiss either! not much work gone into the eBay item IMO
    Sorry, your were just beaten by an earlier PM from a local (Northamptonshire) person who will collect from me.

I will, however, ask my friend if he has any more because the tiny & near invisible (tick?) blemishes on this piece make it unsuitable for his purpose.

I will PM you once I have spoken to him.

ATB

Iain