Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know when/if A9 re-opened yet?

Account Suspended

Anyone know when/if A9 re-opened yet?

I heard about the tragic accident on the A9 near Blair Atholl in the early hours of today and the deaths of the two lorry drivers involved. My interest in this is trivial compared to those directly affected and I am truly saddened by their loss. However, for the rest of us at least, life's mundane practicalities go on and I've family who want to make their way North to Inverness this afternoon (in their car). I also hear that the road has been closed, for the foreseeable, while an investigation is conducted.

Does anyone on here know if the A9 is open again yet or, if not, when it might be so?

There was talk of a diversion too, but some of the options spoken of seem to be in the region of 120miles long, is that correct?

Still closed and the diversion is seriously long as it is via Crieff and Spean Bridge.

driven that road a 1000 times when i was a coach driver, never liked it
    7mm-08 of course!

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Late Afternoon they recon, after 16:30
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    Late Afternoon they recon, after 16:30
    Thanks for that. They've put off their departure till later on in hope of the situation improving but may still use the A93 etc, i.e. do the Perth to Braemar and round to Grantown-on-Spey then across to Carr Bridge and back onto the A9 ... detour. But I bet a lot of others have thought of this one too. So it'll be slow.

In my rallying days we accumulated maps (which I still try to keep up to date) that would let us use all the white roads (great fun too) but it's not me doing the navigating so they'll have to just make do with the main roads.

The saddest thing about the A9 is that there was mention in the past that for similar costs as reintroducing trams to Edinburgh, the whole of that road to Inverness could have been turned into 2 lanes either way. Thereby reducing the death toll on it drastically.

Instead we opt for a tourist attraction, and one that was fazed out years ago because it was deemed no longer practical!!! I have yet to speak to a single person that thinks the trams are a good idea or even wanted. The A9 is officially Scotland's most dangerous road with more fatalities than another. I travel it a lot all the way to Brora and have seen so many near misses it's unbelievable!

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I've been travelling it constantly over the last 18 months, living in Yorkshire then travelling at weekends to my home. Hated it every time, frustration being stuck behind lorries that think it's fine to keep 20+ cars stuck at between 40 and 50mph, (I know the legal speed limit for an HGV on single Carrageway national speed limit is 40mph) same with Camper vans and caravans in the summer months....I have, I suppose like many others overtaken whan I probably shouldn't have, but that's down to frustration more than anything else.

It's a horrible road, needs upgrading from Inverness to Perth, same as the A96 Inverness to Aberdeen. Could you imagine having the M4/M40/M1 being an "A" class road with single carrageway!

It's a shame that so many have died or been seriously injured over the years, but they will never upgrade it, money being spent else where like benefit cheats, housing illegals, EU bailouts.......It all adds up.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

When there's deep snow and ice I've lost control twice on the a9 because of getting totally iced over by on coming traffic and couldn't see where I was going for a few moments after, this both times because of trucks coming the other way straying of the gritted line into deeper crap at the side of the clean roadway that exploded snow and ice across at my car. If follow on traffic had been coming the other way it would have been a lot worse the ending up arse end in the snow bank at the side of the road. Very dangerous road especially when you're looking for deer up on the hills out the window.

" Very dangerous road especially when you're looking for deer up on the hills out the window."

Paul you should find enough deer to look at and avoid looking out of the front never mind the side windows on that road.

A9 will be open at 8pm