Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lansky Ceramic Sharpening sets - Fold-a-Vee and 4 Rod Box

Lansky Ceramic Sharpening sets - Fold-a-Vee and 4 Rod Box

Lansky Ceramic Sharpening sets - Fold-a-Vee and 4 Rod Box

I know that knife sharpening tends to be a bit of a 'dark art' at times.

Over the years we've used about every method going and had sessions with hundreds of course members. Over that time, we've consistently found the ceramic rod type set up gives some of the best, repeatable and easiest results.

A product that has worked really well has been the Croc Stick/ Lansky Rod Box. I personally use a 4 rod box as my main sharpening tool. The 4 rod box provides a set of two medium and two fine rods - and it's the fine ones I use almost exclusively. The two rod versions are cheaper, but dont have these - so we dont stock them.

I recently got chance to use the Fold-A-Vee version and like it .... a lot. Typically, then discovered this had just been discontinued by Lansky . This morning received the last 2 ( three actually but I'm keeping one ) with the UK distributor and they have gone on the Forest & Hill website.

There are a limited number still over with Lansky USA and I have what I can get hold of wending it's way over - just waiting on delivery time estimate.

Anyone interested in these please visit the website. It will automatically close out once stock gone. Anyone interested thereafter, please let me know and I will try to allocate out on a first come first served basis - no payment nor obligation until they are here.
    18.95 posted UK mainland First Class. ALL GONE

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LCSFV.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	15999

The 4 Rod Boxes remain on list and in stock at Forest & Hill and plenty available. Really does exactly the same job in the same way - and many prefer a good bit of wood to a folding plastic set up. 24.95 posted UK Mainland First Class

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LCD5D.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	16000

Many thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Moray Outfitting; 01-06-2012 at 20:32.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Put me down for at least one Andy. This is perfect on the RWL34 and other stainless knives.

"V" purchased via link thanks
    Last edited by bongo; 01-06-2012 at 20:25.

Dougster - I'll sort you out.... in the nicest possible way of course

Bongo - was that a V now or as possible for next batch? I've held one back on the Forest & Hill website stock list, so one in reserve for you - just let me know direct by PM and will sort from there.
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms

Fold A Vee all now gone

Per PMs to relevant people - all V's now gone - thank you guys.

Huge amount of interest - so I will push for delivery date on next batch. Likely to have a bit of a fight to secure what I can, so anyone else interested - as I said, no obligation - please let me know and I will secure as many as I can.

Plenty 4 Rod boxes left!
    Last edited by Moray Outfitting; 01-06-2012 at 20:58.

Please put me down for the Fold a Vee waiting list! Thanks and greetings!

Good to hear from you P, hope all going well.

On phone with Peter at the distributors late last night - I know, but we haven't got the spare time to 'get a life' - seeing what can be done to secure as much of remaining stock as we can.

Given speed of things yesterday, I'll go with proposed list from here of expressed interest ( no obligation to buy ) and when next batch comes in offer them out on first come first served to the listed people before general release ( if any remain ). So PM, e mail or post if you wish to be added.

Many thanks.

Any tips on getting the tip of the blade as sharp as the rest of the blad when using the Turnbox4?

I find the last 1/2" to the blade point takes a bit of finer work with a fine stone to get it is a good at the rest of the blade, other wise the Turnbox 4's are brilliant for a quick swipe and back to hair popping sharpness.

Cheerr

Rb

Rb

I'll have a look on my pc - had a note of a good Youtube video. Much easier to see it done than explain.

Key with any of the rods systems is a light touch - very light. Second element is the sweep - time sweep down the rod so that as much of the rod and full length of blade are covered. Sometimes not possible - in which case I use two strokes each side - back of blade; front of blade.

Light pressure and natural sweep should see you right. Correct sweep keeps edge on the rod for full length. If you are a bit too stiff with the sweep the curve/ tip can lift off - as with bench stones.

Often tip gets the most use and requires more work to match rest of blade - then its as above but two/ three strokes on front.

Other than re-edging something seriously blunted, should be getting results with no more than five good strokes each side.

Hope that helps.

RB

Found one - I'll PM it as don't agree with much of anything the guy says ( and oh my that American jarring 'twang' )

In general there are some real disaster movies on Youtube for this topic - so will try to get something sorted to post up here.

EDIT -

Reread above and appreciate it does not serve the Forum members well. I have a sharpening article in draft from previous - but just waaay too heavy! Only purpose will be to ensure your blade is sharp enough to dis-embowl yourself mid way through chapter 12. Will get it right and post when done.

So, still not very helpful!

I therefore paraphrase the Lansky instructions - which cover most of the rod type sharpeners -

1. Pick angle that suits your blade. If possible set rods to match this or set blade at a repeatable angle. The best is straight up and down - vertical, with the rod at the correct angle.
    2. Taking care of safe finger positioning and on a stable surface ( don't sit the sharpener on your thigh whilst watching TV )
    3. Lightly touch blade edge to rod and draw blade down the rod from heel to tip - as though slicing bread.
    4.Alternate each side.
    Last edited by Moray Outfitting; 02-06-2012 at 11:09.