Fife police and deer

roering

A mate from fife was at a meeting at fife police HQ , regarding deer and road traffic accidents, they are trying to set up a register for calling people ou t to deal with deer that have been in traffic accidents, seems fife police are dealing with up to 1500 accidents a year, by setting up a register they are going to save money by not having to call out a vet, I am under the inpression the prefered method that the police want you to use is a shotgun, anybody in the fife area interested give fife police HQ a call and they should be able to provide further information

If the police call me out to deal with a deer, I'll choose the suitable tool for the job, not have them dictate the method I'm to use.

Other than that, it's a good thing to have, saves them much needed money as you say.

I was there mate and proberly more hassel than its worth. There wanting you to fill a form out before you leave your house which could be any am time, when your there and when you get home again. Take hiviz vests, hard hats, traffic signs, maybe more than one firearm and at the end of it is anything goes wrong its you that ends up getting in crap for it. The police will be saving money, but they dont cover you with there insurence annd theres no payment in it for us. A dont see the point.
FS25

I was there mate and proberly more hassel than its worth. There wanting you to fill a form out before you leave your house which could be any am time, when your there and when you get home again. Take hiviz vests, hard hats, traffic signs, maybe more than one firearm and at the end of it is anything goes wrong its you that ends up getting in crap for it. The police will be saving money, but they dont cover you with there insurence annd theres no payment in it for us. A dont see the point.
FS25
had the same here in northants about a year ago at an NGO meeting ,i did think about and am still thinking about it :Dthe only point being to stop the deer suffering too long .
dont fancy doing anything without ins cover these days !

regards doug

They've been doing this on a small scale for a while now, one of my mates does it.

Get up at 2 am and trail half way accross Fife and don't even get expenses.................not for me!

Can fully understand and appreciate the cautionary comments posted - thankless task is the phrase to springs to mind.

And yet...

Given debate elsewhere on SD about possible/ probable competency issues in Scotland etc would the Police coming to rely on such an onerous goodwill gesture be a rather positive thing for stalkers to hold up to the debate and ensure the Police Authorities recognised?

By no means black and white issue and certainly not detracting from the whole gonad ache of taking part in such schemes, just floating wider possible 'benefit'.

If the police call me out to deal with a deer, I'll choose the suitable tool for the job, not have them dictate the method I'm to use.

Other than that, it's a good thing to have, saves them much needed money as you say.
good morning matt-hooks early start for you, or a late finish!!! I totally agree with your comments, people who provide a free professional service, do just that, some people may think they know best, if the Police are asking for our service (FOC) then they should not be entitled to dictate their terms & conditions

Fife Constabulary did not suggest anything as yet they are merely considering starting a register of persons willing to be called out. All the method of despatch were discussed and merely suggested by John Bruce of the BDS. It was quite clear that the decision on the tool used would ultimately rest with the dispatcher and it was in fact a member of Fife Constabulary that suggested that warning triangles etc were unrealistic but again these were only suggestions of good practice by John Bruce who quite rightly would not be drawn into debate on some topics although i understand that the majority of persons saw the advantages of and agreed that in the right circumstances a shotgun would be apprpriate. As has been previously stated it is a big commitment and not one that should be taken lightly.

PS appoligies for any typing errors i am doing this on my phone and big fingers and little buttons and screens dont make for good typing.

Regards Remmy7.

I currently am on the call out list for Tayside and often get called out at 2 or 3am in the morning to dispatch deer on the A9 or other roads in the area. On average a couple of times a week. Sometimes its 5 mins away other times 40 miles. I am always happy to do it to prevent prolonged suffering to the deer. I tend to use a shotgun but it does depend on the situation. The police normally put a temp closure on the road while I dispatch the deer, and I normally put on hi viz jacket for my own safety. The Police are always very appreciative and helpful. They never ever dictate what methods I use, I always tell them what I am going to do and what I need from them ,and they always oblige. As it is normally at night the roads are not very busy but if it is busy obviouse safe precautions need to be taken such as stopping traffic, if only to prevent distress to the deer and from passing motorists seeing. It does save the Police money and I dont see why the Police should have to pay for it anyway. As a professional deer manager I certainly see it as my role to attend any deer RTAs that are on roads that border my land, and I am always happy to travel further to provide assistance. My work insurance covers me for this, and there is a travel expense fee paid.

Last edited:
Why would anyone want to get up in the middle of the night and drive at their own expense to dispatch an injured deer is beyond me. No one likes to see an animal suffer unnecessarily, but surely a fee should be paid. It totally devalues the profession of a deer manager to work unpaid, or any profession for that matter. If it were a charity such as RSPCA their officers are paid are they not?

It may seem like the kind thing to do, but to do it on a professional call out basis where you are responsible for Traffic Management and any accident which may take place under that management is very un-proffesional. Technically if you don't have a "chapter 8" qualification and the proper signage for any kind of interference on the highway then you can be sued for any accident that takes place. I'll bet the small print states that you are responsible for Traffic Management.

I do call out work for 3 local authorities and the FCS for storm damage tree work, we have to take TM very seriously, bringing in outside contractors where necessary.. I'd be mad to do it for free.

There are people out there just looking for someone to sue, and a whole load of lawyers encouraging them to try....

Don't sell yourself cheap. You de-value the skills of everyone.....

Why would anyone want to get up in the middle of the night and drive at their own expense to dispatch an injured deer is beyond me. No one likes to see an animal suffer unnecessarily, but surely a fee should be paid. It totally devalues the profession of a deer manager to work unpaid, or any profession for that matter. If it were a charity such as RSPCA their officers are paid are they not?

It may seem like the kind thing to do, but to do it on a professional call out basis where you are responsible for Traffic Management and any accident which may take place under that management is very un-proffesional. Technically if you don't have a "chapter 8" qualification and the proper signage for any kind of interference on the highway then you can be sued for any accident that takes place. I'll bet the small print states that you are responsible for Traffic Management.

I do call out work for 3 local authorities and the FCS for storm damage tree work, we have to take TM very seriously, bringing in outside contractors where necessary.. I'd be mad to do it for free.

There are people out there just looking for someone to sue, and a whole load of lawyers encouraging them to try....

Don't sell yourself cheap. You de-value the skills of everyone.....

I stated call out expenses are paid.

The Police are obviously the ones responsible for traffic management, and I think you will find they are qualified to put up the correct signage, closures etc!!!

The police will always stand by whilst any dispatching takes place. They do not just call me out then leave me to get on with it! They do any traffic control and signage. However as i stated this is seldom necessary.

Selling yourself cheap? Devaluing the skills of everyone?? Come on!!

Its a real shame some people are so money orientated! I have over 40 miles of forest where a trunk road runs along side it, and a vast amount more of minor roads. I am responsible for the cull figures and culling of deer in these woods so if they are hit on the road then of course I attend a call out to them. Obviously it is not for everyone and needs careful consideration before agreeing to go on the call out list, however it is a choice for individuals to make.

Yours was not the post I was referring to, your situation shows how things should be, you are being paid to manage deer anyway, and as you say a large section of your land borders the road in question. The posts referring to the Fife situation seem to infer that no expenses will be paid and that the police are washing their hands of the traffic situation. There is a massive difference here.

If you are verbally invited to humanely dispatch an injured animal in the presence of the police that is one thing, if anything goes wrong you will not normally be liable. If you sign a document and agree to perform a service for the state, you will be liable and therefore should be paid.

Just my opinion, others may differ.

Yours was not the post I was referring to, your situation shows how things should be, you are being paid to manage deer anyway, and as you say a large section of your land borders the road in question. The posts referring to the Fife situation seem to infer that no expenses will be paid and that the police are washing their hands of the traffic situation. There is a massive difference here.

If you are verbally invited to humanely dispatch an injured animal in the presence of the police that is one thing, if anything goes wrong you will not normally be liable. If you sign a document and agree to perform a service for the state, you will be liable and therefore should be paid.

Just my opinion, others may differ.

Ah, my apologies in that case!

I totally agree with you, at least expenses should be paid, and Police should be on hand to oversee any dispatching. I would never agree to attend and dispatch unless there was a patrol car on scene managing traffic etc. Being in the employ of the Police for dispatching is not something I would consider as I attend if I can and as you say would not be want to be liable. Tayside Police are very switched on regarding deer RTAs and by helping them out I have great relations with them and get a quick response if I phone in reporting poachers etc

If they built up a big enough register then they could call the person closest to the rta, therefore less travelling for the stalker, and less suffering for the deer. However if there is only 2 people on the register, then it could be a lengthly drive and suffering.

Back