Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonic 45 moderators??

Sonic 45 moderators??

I have just been looking at these moderators
    Any one hav any knowledge of them
    Both good and bad would be appreciated as I am looking at purchasing 2 of them
    One for a rimfire in .22wm and one for a .243

Sonic 45 Proofed Moderators

Cheers in advance

As my T8 is starting to show signs of age I have started looking around. At 480 grammes there is a decent weight saving over a T8. The baffles have a steel core so there should be greater longevity compared to aluminium.

Before parting with my cash I too would like to hear from some one with hands on of these moderators

Nope not looked at them before but as I am not happy with the importers customer service plus they are playing footsie with the proofing I need no more to look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Nope not looked at them before but as I am not happy with the importers customer service plus they are playing footsie with the proofing I need no more to look elsewhere.
    Very productive reply not
    It goes like wot...!!!!
    " I hav no knowledge of the mods so no help , but as the importers are messing me about I will use this as a platform to slate them instead"

WTF???
    If you hav a problem with them Please feel free to start your own thread about them
    If you hav an issue about the mods please post on this thread
    But FYI
    Mods purchased and delivered in less than a week , seems a good service from my RFD

Must be you

No practical experience, but have seen a few at shows and in shops. Price is competitive.

Well enough made. Similar to several other recent designs. USP seems to be slots for C-spanners to dismantle etc. and steel bushes in the ally baffles to reduce burnout (as long as they don't come loose). Not particularly light compared with some other ally mods.

You can reduce the number of baffles (6) to reduce length and weight, and rotate them to even out wear.

If you are prepared for regular maintenance i.e. stripping, cleaning, greasing, reassembling and re-zeroing after all that mucking about, good luck.

If you neglect them, be prepared for them to seize up. Large diameter fine pitch threads in soft alloy are not a good recipe when combined with blast, high temperature, corrosive gases etc.

Can't really see the point of the Sonic 45. An Ase Utra S5L costs about the same, but is maintenance free, half the length, doesn't need a rear bush machined to the barrel, is made of welded stainless steel, is durable, has a proven track record, and can in future be re-purposed to different muzzle threads simply by having the rear nut changed.

A Sonic 35 is also available at slightly lower cost and 100g lighter. This is the only one that interests me.

For a .22WMR you don't need a Sonic. They do a Sonic 35 rimfire only at slightly less than 100 i.e half the price, not sure what differences but maybe no steel baffle inserts ?

For half the weight and a third the cost a SAK will do the job adequately. And if you ever manage to burn the baffles Jackson rifles will replace it for just over half price, out of warranty. There are other similar designs, e.g. Swift do a nicer version of the SAK.

Not aware of any warranty offered for the Sonic. I shoot >1000 rounds of fullbore/year at my club. The ONLY mods. that seem to cope with this year on year are Ase Utra, BR Tuote, and MAE/PES. Many others have been been tried and failed. Alloy ones particularly. Ase Utra JetZ seems to be the preferred choice. Yes it costs 100 more but it just works, forever.

I've been fortunate to have stalked with several real professionals over the years. All have used Sako or Tikka rifles fitted with Ase Utra moderators, either JetZ, S5 or Northstar. They just work, no maintenance, no problems, utterly reliable.

It seems there are many outfits with a CNC machine, spare capacity and no real knowledge of suppressor design (other than what they have copied) who have seen an opportunity to (literally) turn 20 of stock into >250 of moderator in a few minutes. Good luck to them.

A Sonic 45 uses six baffles and a reflex chamber to achieve the same result as an Ase Utra Northstar with only three. That suggest (in)efficiency of design. Yes the Northstar weighs nearly 50% more but it is made from thick stainless steel, durable, maintenance free, doesn't rely on a rear bush to align its stack of randomly aligned threaded baffles, etc. And has an unbeatable warranty.

An S5L achieves the same results with five baffles in a muzzle can at similar weight to the twice-as-long Sonic 45 and is also durably made from welded stainless steel, no maintenance.

I won't be buying one.

I have had many Mods over the years and they all have there Pro's & Cons, I purchased a sonic 45 8 months ago and am really happy with it I only use it for stalking so have not put 1000's of rounds through it but to be honest if I still shot at a club I would not want to use a Mod anyway.

It has served me well I load to the max in my stalking 6.5 and it shows no signs of gas cutting or problems as it has the stainless inserts its easy to strip and clean.

I would recommend them as I have first hand experiance as I own and use one unlike some of the replies, PM me if you want to know more.

PJ.
    Last edited by patjack; 20-06-2012 at 09:57.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    Very productive reply not
    It goes like wot...!!!!
    " I hav no knowledge of the mods so no help , but as the importers are messing me about I will use this as a platform to slate them instead"

WTF???
    If you hav a problem with them Please feel free to start your own thread about them
    If you hav an issue about the mods please post on this thread
    But FYI
    Mods purchased and delivered in less than a week , seems a good service from my RFD

Must be you
    Ok if you happy dealing with a company that is known and has a record of not fullfilling customer warranty claims. Mine was with a brand new Nikko Sterling scope for which Highland Outdoors is also the importer and according to John the boss man the fast focus eye piece should wobble about moving the reticle in the view as it does as ALL fast focus eye pieces do this and are made too. This despite the fact that i have older Nikko Sterlings with this same fast focus eye piece that do not do this neither do quality makes like Meopta or S&B that I had on hand to compare.

Oh yes it seems his way of checking the scope was to use a collimeter. The fact that the scope shifted POI with each shot, it was consisitent as it produced a nice split group with the two groups fired in one sitting about 2" apart, so was useless for real shooting as one would have to hope and try to remember where the next shot would go high or low.

Now if a problem developed with a moderator i would expect judging by his the the companies response and handling of this problem to be utterly useless to the customer. Their attitude certainly was over this scope "tough titty" buy another" Oh I did buy another ......................................... another make.

As they say fore warned is fore armed .

Potential customers can judge if they so wish by the real customer service experience that I received if they really wish to risk their money or not. Sweeping it under the carpet helps who exactly?

Oh yes I also brought another Nikko Sterling scope from Uttings at the same time which also had the same problem. Uttings took the scope back and refunded. The other internet vendor refused to even answer any e-mails hence my having to try and deal with John at Highland Outdoors.

As to mod use well I only brought one that Wildcat P8 and despite it's stainless blast baffle it's alreadey showing burnign and pitting:-

Of course it's had more use in the short time I had it than a lot of stalkers would do as it was used in load development that due to faulty scopes went on a lot longer than expected. 400 Rnds of 25-06 just over 100 Rnds of .243 and a hunred or so of 6.5x55 equals the pitting you see. I must admit I was surprised to see it showing so much so soon. Once the new outdoor range is open part of the planning consent was that after a certain time in the afternoon that only moderated rifles may be used on the range .

OH yes the issues with the scope and Highland Outdoors was posted at the time but not everyone was a member then so may not be aware of their poor service.

There are much better options than the Sonic 45, I have fitted a few at customers requests, and I was totally unimpressed by the build quality.

Get an ATec maxim if you want something similar to the Sonic. Or buy a JetZ if you want the best.

Very informative and spot on post there Sharpie

But alas too late
    2 mods had already been purchased
    First thoughts were they looked good and lighter than a lot I hav handled
    But now after less than 20 rounds with the 22 wm through it
    A different story
    Here sat on the win mag

Closer look at the baffles

Taken apart

Main part heavily soiled

One of the centre baffles
    Again fair bit of soiling

The end baffle
    Also quite dirty

Yep definitely a lot more cleaning needed
    So not as impressive as they sound

Also thank you for a better informative post Brit, interesting to see how bad the wildcat is after so few shots

Cheers all for the input

i had a wildcat once, 50 shots used it been a door stop ever since, Had some pes mods and they were very quiet but a little heavy, not use a third eye tac on on my 7mm-08 and a dm80 on the .204

very happy with both and would recomend either, would also recomend the pes for noise reduction, Gavin at Anglo custom rifles has a new moddie that should be about ready by now, made from titanium, but not as expensive as other mods in its class worth a look as his work is outstanding
    7mm-08 of course!