Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat Converter Theft

Cat Converter Theft

All,

A quick heads up for those of you that have vehicles fitted with catalytic converters.

There has recently been a spate (over 60 so far) of thefts of cat converters from vehicles round our way (Derby / Burton). It seems to be an organised gang. They seem to be using a rotary pipe cutting device which doesn't make much noise. They also seem to be targeting 4X4's, presumably because there's more metal to weigh in, plus they're easier to get underneath.

A pal of mine had the cat nicked from his Hilux. He reckons there's about 80 quid's worth of scrap platinum in it, but its cost over a grand to replace.

The police seem to think they've got them on the run round here, so they may move to another patch.

Keep an extra vigilant eye on your trucks.

Cheers,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Dovebob View Post
    plus they're easier to get underneath.
    Been going on a while and this is the main reason. Anything you can do with parking to make access difficult will help!

I made the mistake of leaving the old one off my car out the front of the house. I figured that as we live more than five miles from anything approaching a busy road, and are in a dead end, it'd be fairly safe. Sadly not.

I removed mine as not needed on a diesel and fitted a stainless system instead, no cat/particulate filter to to steal now, weighed it in myself.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

A lot of companies are having them removed from their vans now.
    Makes you wonder why if a diesel engine doesn`t need it why fit it??
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by patjack View Post
    I removed mine as not needed on a diesel and fitted a stainless system instead, no cat/particulate filter to to steal now, weighed it in myself.
    Nice work, I need to replace my system soon and when I asked about not putting a cat on, because of the waste of money being that mines a diesel, I was told that "its law and you have to have one fitted"..................................hmmmm ?

Darn it if they stole the one off mine it would probably write it off due to cost.

My step dad also had his stolen from the hi lux using the same method as you describe.

Theiving bar stewards!!!!

Olaf, Think it depends on the age of vehicle could be wrong though, something like 06 plate and newer springs to mind, hopefully somoeone will know the correct age, as for older vehicles needing them def No have been through 3 MOT's now with no problems, funny thing have all the MOT's from new and since removing said CAT/PARTICULATE filter emissions are down and BHP fuel economy have gone up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
    Nice work, I need to replace my system soon and when I asked about not putting a cat on, because of the waste of money being that mines a diesel, I was told that "its law and you have to have one fitted"..................................hmmmm ?
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart