Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what type of bullet

what type of bullet

Hello all who boar shoot,

what i would like to know is what type of round/head and weight i need for wild boar in a 7x64 calibre rifle so it is good enough for boar.

regards
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    Hello all who boar shoot,

what i would like to know is what type of round/head and weight i need for wild boar in a 7x64 calibre rifle so it is good enough for boar.

regards
    chris
    Lapua Mega would be my choice

I used Sierra 150gn soft point in .308 for driven Boar, ie Boar taken at less that 30 yards quite effectively for several years.
    I then went on to use Sierra 180 soft point in both .308 and 30-06 for them when I found the opportunity to shoot them at short distances couldn't be guaranteed.

The bullet you like for reds will be ideal for boar. Where are you going Chris?

Norma 156grain Oryx
    "If you don't belong, don't be long"

i use norma oryx 150g had no runners and no problems thats in .308

I use Hornady Interlocks in both the .308 (180gr) and in the .444 (265gr).
    Both are bad medicine on wild boar!!! though i have never tried to shoot any using a head ?

Bob.

I've been working up a boar load this afternoon for my 7x65R drilling to use in Sweden, Germany and Finland later this year - I'm using a 173gn SPCE bullet from Sellier & Bellot, running at about 2,600 FPS. The SPCE is a stepped bullet with a stepped cutting edge, designed to ensure a pronounced entry wound, controlled expansion and enough retained weight to exit again. As it's similar load data for the 7x64, I'd stay at the heavy end of the range and try the 175gn Hornady Interlock RNs - they look as if they'll wallop anything and should expand brilliantly at relatively low velocity, assuming you are not going to be shooting boar at longer ranges.

Adam.

Had great success using 175 partitions out of 7mm08, always exited, even a head on shot that passed through the skull, entered the chest cavity and exited through its brisket!
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

i use 150 homeloads in my 308 mate