Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost bolt

Lost bolt

What's the score when you've lost a gun bolt?

Tikka T3.....what will replacement cost?
    How long will it take?
    Any other information appreciated

Regards

Firstly the bolt is a pressure bearing part, therefore controlled. You will need to go to an RFD to get a replacement.

The bolt will then need to be fitted and checked by a gunsmith, to ensure the headspace is within limits.

Then it will have to be sent away for proofing.

Not cheap, and not quick I'm afraid.

Probably a bit quicker if you get the gunsmith who will do the fitting to source the bolt too, but still looking at a good few weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    Firstly the bolt is a pressure bearing part, therefore controlled. You will need to go to an RFD to get a replacement.

The bolt will then need to be fitted and checked by a gunsmith, to ensure the headspace is within limits.

Then it will have to be sent away for proofing.

Not cheap, and not quick I'm afraid.

Probably a bit quicker if you get the gunsmith who will do the fitting to source the bolt too, but still looking at a good few weeks!
    Thanks

It's not sounding too good. I'll tell my mate to dust down his cheque book and to take up knitting for a wee while!

Regards

A very good reason to:-

1) have a spare back up rifle

2) Not remove bolt except for cleaning

Always wondered this, I know that someone did tell me it was cheaper to scrap the rifle and buy a new one on a cheaper brand!

How lost is lost?

Are we talking somewhere between highseat and car? (couple of blokes with metal detectors and free beer).... or left on roof of car/anywhere on A9?

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    Always wondered this, I know that someone did tell me it was cheaper to scrap the rifle and buy a new one on a cheaper brand!
    That would explain this then, guntrader.co.uk - Tikka .243 595 Deluxe Bolt Action Second Hand Rifle

Neil.

I lost one for a M595 about 10 years ago, I informed the FLO,he wasn’t very bothered about the lost. It took about 6 weeks to get one fromTikka though my RFD, the bolt cost £175 I think, I had the head spaced checkedbut that was a waste of time, manufacturing tolerances are pretty good nowdays. Then proofed. Think total cost was around £225. A new Tikka then was£500ish.

So it would be wise to factor in half the cost of a new T3if he really can’t find the bolt.

ATB

Tahr
    I

Thanks for the replies. If he has not found bolt yet (at home/vehicles) we will go to area of last outing and have a good look round. If that fails he may well go down the new gun route

Thanks

cheaper to buy a secondhand rifle imo. when gmk quote you for a new bolt !