Lost bolt

scotspine

What's the score when you've lost a gun bolt?

Tikka T3.....what will replacement cost?
How long will it take?
Any other information appreciated

Regards

Firstly the bolt is a pressure bearing part, therefore controlled. You will need to go to an RFD to get a replacement.

The bolt will then need to be fitted and checked by a gunsmith, to ensure the headspace is within limits.

Then it will have to be sent away for proofing.

Not cheap, and not quick I'm afraid.

Probably a bit quicker if you get the gunsmith who will do the fitting to source the bolt too, but still looking at a good few weeks!

Firstly the bolt is a pressure bearing part, therefore controlled. You will need to go to an RFD to get a replacement.

The bolt will then need to be fitted and checked by a gunsmith, to ensure the headspace is within limits.

Then it will have to be sent away for proofing.

Not cheap, and not quick I'm afraid.

Probably a bit quicker if you get the gunsmith who will do the fitting to source the bolt too, but still looking at a good few weeks!

Thanks

It's not sounding too good. I'll tell my mate to dust down his cheque book and to take up knitting for a wee while!

Regards

Always wondered this, I know that someone did tell me it was cheaper to scrap the rifle and buy a new one on a cheaper brand!

How lost is lost?

Are we talking somewhere between highseat and car? (couple of blokes with metal detectors and free beer).... or left on roof of car/anywhere on A9? :confused:

I lost one for a M595 about 10 years ago, I informed the FLO,he wasn’t very bothered about the lost. It took about 6 weeks to get one fromTikka though my RFD, the bolt cost £175 I think, I had the head spaced checkedbut that was a waste of time, manufacturing tolerances are pretty good nowdays. Then proofed. Think total cost was around £225. A new Tikka then was£500ish.

So it would be wise to factor in half the cost of a new T3if he really can’t find the bolt.

ATB

Tahr
I

Thanks for the replies. If he has not found bolt yet (at home/vehicles) we will go to area of last outing and have a good look round. If that fails he may well go down the new gun route

Thanks

To get a new bolt you would need to get it back to the factory via GMK - definitely cheaper to buy another rifle!!!
I took in a Tikka 695 rifle, less the bolt, for spares - mainly the barrel. The rest is worthless. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

A very good reason to:-

1) have a spare back up rifle

2) Not remove bolt except for cleaning

Nice one, Brit.

As for 1) it's prudent to have more one spare.

As for 2) if I could just offer two more exceptional occasions when rifle and bolt should part company from each other:-

2 (a) when you must leave your rifle in the vehicle out of sight.
2 (b) a few minutes before your FAC Renewal visit is due.

Leaving aside the security stuff this is a serious point. If you have more than one rifle of the same make and model such as T3's it's easy to mix the bolts up with potentially serious consequences.

Also, spare parts for older rifle models are almost impossible to find. In my case lefthand bolts for these are unobtainable, so losing the bolt effectively writes off a rifle which I can never replace.
As far as bearing the pain of loss goes, it would be preferable and cause me less grief to lose my wallet.

Nice one, Brit.

As for 1) it's prudent to have more one spare.

As for 2) if I could just offer two more exceptional occasions when rifle and bolt should part company from each other:-

2 (a) when you must leave your rifle in the vehicle out of sight.
2 (b) a few minutes before your FAC Renewal visit is due.

Leaving aside the security stuff this is a serious point. If you have more than one rifle of the same make and model such as T3's it's easy to mix the bolts up with potentially serious consequences.

Also, spare parts for older rifle models are almost impossible to find. In my case lefthand bolts for these are unobtainable, so losing the bolt effectively writes off a rifle which I can never replace.
As far as bearing the pain of loss goes, it would be preferable and cause me less grief to lose my wallet.

Hi All
In 25 years mine have never been out for FAC renewal and are always stored in the rifle
Geordie

I lost one out a Sauer 200 many years back, those of you who remember the release system, will remember how easy and stupid I was. I can give you a 10 km square in Sutherland to search if you want.

It was well used , so just scrapped and bought a sako

The bolt has been found...a long story involving a hole in a jacket pocket, a punture and a borrowed car!! Anyway, the chap has reunited the bolt with the gun and I suspect the two will never be parted again.

The bolt has been found...a long story involving a hole in a jacket pocket, a punture and a borrowed car!! Anyway, the chap has reunited the bolt with the gun and I suspect the two will never be parted again.

I do think Darwins theory will be lost on you lot:stir:

Very fortunate, sako and tikka will not replace a bolt or barrel without the rifle having a trip back to the factory. The cost of this will be near equal to what you paid for it new. Sew your pocket up now while it is on your mind!

there must be a market here.
surely enough guns get re-barrelled, scrapped, have bolts replaced with bling jewelled and spiralled numbers that there are bolts out there? no?
If I was an RFD or gunmaker I would have a workshop of exactly such items for exactly such occasions.

there must be a market here.
surely enough guns get re-barrelled, scrapped, have bolts replaced with bling jewelled and spiralled numbers that there are bolts out there? no?
If I was an RFD or gunmaker I would have a workshop of exactly such items for exactly such occasions.

You would think so..... what I can't get my head round is why you can't just buy a new bolt and use it. Surely the factroy do that as the parts roll off the conveyor belt?

Back